Thread: Multiple company work expected

Default Multiple company work expected

Hi, and thanks for your time.

I work in Iowa at a hotel under a company, which I will call K, Inc. Its on the border of Iowa/Illinois. I have 32-40 hours a week here. My boss/owner has called and started telling employees here that they will be expected to come to Illinois, to train at his other hotel. His other hotel is a different chain under a different company name entirely, I will call the 2nd company N, Inc..

I'm of the opinion that I've been hired by K, Inc and not N, Inc. I don't believe it is ethical or legal to require me to work a second job at a separate company. This allows him to bypass paying any overtime, and no wage negotiation for the 2nd job has taken place. This is not only for training, he expects to put employees on the schedule at this other property.

I would like to know the legalities of what he is trying to do to the employees here. Again thanks for your time.
    Last edited by seekup789; 03-30-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Default unethical or illegal behavior on part of your employer

There is no unethical or illegal behavior on part of your employer under federal law. As long as the hrs worked on both jobs during the same work week are added together and you are paid at least the applicable minimum wage and overtime, if any hrs over 40 are worked and you are not exempt from the overtime laws, then the employer can required you and the other workers to work at both location without asking for any permission from you or the other employees. There is no wage negotiation requirement on part of the employer, unless there is a collective bargaining agreement (union) in place.
    ========================================

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyRetCW3 View Post
    There is no unethical or illegal behavior on part of your employer under federal law. As long as the hrs worked on both jobs during the same work week are added together and you are paid at least the applicable minimum wage and overtime, if any hrs over 40 are worked and you are not exempt from the overtime laws, then the employer can required you and the other workers to work at both location without asking for any permission from you or the other employees. There is no wage negotiation requirement on part of the employer, unless there is a collective bargaining agreement (union) in place.
    From talking with another employee, her paycheck from the Illinois company is separate from her paycheck with the Iowa company. She had to fill out new tax forms and such as well as she is getting a paycheck from two different companies. As far as I can tell, if her hours worked exceed 40 in a week she is not being payed overtime due to the paychecks coming from these separate sources. This is legal?

Super Moderator

If we are talking about paid overtime only, then federal law looks at whether the two employers have common ownership.
    This can be rather technical.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by DAW View Post
    If we are talking about paid overtime only, then federal law looks at whether the two employers have common ownership.
    This can be rather technical.
    Ok. Well thanks for the info. It gives me an idea on how to proceed.

Also: Love the quote, but I'm laughing a bit that poor Philip's last name is censored. Reminds me I need to finish 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.'