Thread: Vehicles on my property Georgia

Default Vehicles on my property Georgia

Our neighbors frequently park vehicles on our property. They are well aware of the property line, but do so anyway. Can we legally inform them that we will have the vehicles towed at their expense if they are not removed?
    Last edited by Eagle2012; 03-27-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Lightbulb Das ist in der Doktor!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle2012 View Post
    Our neighbors frequently park vehicles on our property. They are well aware of the property line, but do so anyway. Can we legally inform them that we will have the vehicles towed at their expense if they are not removed?
    How much of the car is on your property?
    Some of it?
    Most of it?
    All of it?
    Is this rental property? If it is let the landlord deal with it.
    What are the local ordnances about parking anywhere except in the driveway or on the street? Id check with the city about that, and let the city deal with it
    I have more thoughts on the subject,
    but none of them legal.

I suppose legally you could have the vehicles towed,
    however,
    I see two problems, possibly more with having that done.

1. What if the tow truck driver wants to be payed right then and there or the car don't move? You would have to pay him and then take the people who's car you just had towed to small claims court to get your money back.
    2. After all is said and done,
    you're still going to have these people who's car you had towed, and are taking to small claims court to get back the towing fees you had to fork over,
    ..as neighbors.
    Good Luck,
    let us know how it works out.
    .._________________
    ~ Free advice is like your public defender,
    …you get what you pay for. ~ drr
    Last edited by drruthless; 03-26-2012 at 05:33 PM.

With drruthless's remarks aside....
    He's right. There's a lot of info we need. If you're just renting, let the landlord do the dirty work. But if you own it, now it's a different ball of wax.
    Then there's how long the cars are parked there. Why they are parked there. Are they in your way or are they just sitting there out of the way. And then the attitudes of the neighbors. How do they talk to you, how do they treat you, do they respect you or are they disrespectful? So answer some of those and lets see what ideas we can come up with!
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Default Vehicles on my property

We own and live in the property. Our relationship with these neighbors has been contentious for many years. They are exceedingly disrespectful. When we refinanced several years ago we had the property surveyed, and discovered that our line extended about ten feet into what they thought was their property. Since that time they have attempted to remove the pins, have consistently thrown trash on our side of the property line, "shot birds" at my husband every time he drives past and they are outside. We believe they shot out the window in one of our cars, but have no proof. They keep pit pulls which they frequently let loose in the neighborhood and have charged my young son twice...

About half of a pickup is in our yard, and about a third of a travel trailer. No, they do not impede our ability to get to our home, but these vehicles are not parked temporarily either.

We own and live in the property.
    Ok, good. What about them? Do they own or do they rent?

Our relationship with these neighbors has been contentious for many years. They are exceedingly disrespectful. When we refinanced several years ago we had the property surveyed, and discovered that our line extended about ten feet into what they thought was their property. Since that time they have attempted to remove the pins, have consistently thrown trash on our side of the property line, "shot birds" at my husband every time he drives past and they are outside. We believe they shot out the window in one of our cars, but have no proof. They keep pit pulls which they frequently let loose in the neighborhood and have charged my young son twice...
    Ouuuch! Not exactly the kind of folks I'd want for neighbors. Has any of this been reported to the county sheriff?

About half of a pickup is in our yard, and about a third of a travel trailer. No, they do not impede our ability to get to our home, but these vehicles are not parked temporarily either.
    If I was in your shoes I would gather all documentation on this survey, including photo copies of the survey as well as the business card from the surveyor (maybe he/she would be willing to be there is person with you? If so, great!)

I think that in this case a discussion with BOTH a county commissioner and the county sheriff. Making sure first, however, that you yourself are fully compliant with the law. I say this because right now I think your best free ally is going to be the county.

I am curious though, do they rent or do they own? If they rent, I'd talk to the owners. If they own, hmmm. I dunno. But I am thinking of options though.
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    Don't worry, be happy.

Default Vehicles on my property

Unfortunately yes, they own. And yes, we've contacted the sheriff on several occasions: both times the pit bull charged my son on our property (who is now absolutely terrified by even the smallest, mildest dog); many times due to loud, vulgar music (after requesting many more times that they tone it down); four years ago when they parked a junk car on our property, screamed & cursed my husband when he requested they move it. Then there was the time they were growing pot in their back yard...

We are in the county, in the country and there aren't a lot of ordinances about this stuff. I have spoken with the Magistrate Court and the Sheriff's Department about all this. And we can get pictures, have a deputy come out to make a report and then we can file a warrent and go to court...if it comes to that, we will. Frankly, I am hoping that - if we follow the law about towing - we can get the point across and they will at least stay off and keep their crap off our property.

We have lived in our home for 16 years and plan to die there. It doesn't look as if the neighbors are planning to move either, so the best we can hope for is an uneasy truce.

Lightbulb Das ist in der Doktor!

Well, One solution might be to put stuff of your own where they like to park, like a pile of wood or bricks or what ever you can think of,
    or maybe,
    ... a fence?
    Good Luck.

.._________________
    ~ If electricity describes the movement of electrons,
    does morality describe the movement of morons ?

Unfortunately yes, they own. And yes, we've contacted the sheriff on several occasions: both times the pit bull charged my son on our property (who is now absolutely terrified by even the smallest, mildest dog); many times due to loud, vulgar music (after requesting many more times that they tone it down); four years ago when they parked a junk car on our property, screamed & cursed my husband when he requested they move it. Then there was the time they were growing pot in their back yard...

We are in the county, in the country and there aren't a lot of ordinances about this stuff. I have spoken with the Magistrate Court and the Sheriff's Department about all this. And we can get pictures, have a deputy come out to make a report and then we can file a warrent and go to court...if it comes to that, we will. Frankly, I am hoping that - if we follow the law about towing - we can get the point across and they will at least stay off and keep their crap off our property.
    If I were in your shoes, I would do things differently. Because I HAVE been in your shoes before. I had a very similar situation. Except is was a school bus a guy was living in and I gathered all the evidence, presented it to a judge and did a temporary restraining order. Had them served, and then a week later I had a cousin of mine come over one night with his John Deer. We had a deputy present, and my cousin shoved the bus over on the other guys property. Not MY fault it blocked their driveway and the daddy couldn't go to work. (cough cough)
    I then had a deputy deliver to them a summary of expenses in moving their bus.

Only difference is, they were renting and they moved. And it was in Colorado.

But the temporary restraining order prevented them from doing anything afterwards.

Food for thought.
    Don't worry, be happy.

The restraining order is a good idea. Also, in my state (you'd have to check yours), if you post the required sign (you'd have to check this out for your state as to what is 'required'), you can then tow any vehicle parked on your property. There are probably regulations as to where the signs are placed and how far apart.

What's good about the restraining order is that if you can prove WHO parked the car there, and that person is on the restraining order, you can have them arrested. Two different issues - the car is one, the person who trespassed to put it there is another.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.