Thread: Wisconsin Dating Laws

Default Wisconsin Dating Laws

I'm wondering about a 20 year old dating a 17 year old, and if under any kind of laws would it be illegal? And if one of the parents disapproves? Both parents disapprove?

Super Moderator

This question has been answered many thousands of times, if you care to use the search button.

The answer depends on what you mean by "date".

There are no laws in any state that mandate the age of the person you may hang out at the mall with, go to school functions or the movies with, sit with at the ball game, or whatever it is that teenagers do for social life these days. The law simply does not give a ****. All the law cares about with regards to these items is that the minor have the permission of his or her parents. If Mom and Dad (or legal guardian) say you may "date" this person, using the loose definition above, then you can. If Mom and Dad (or legal guardian) say you cannot, then you cannot.

What the law cares about is who you have sexual contact with, and please note that sexual contact is not limited to intercourse. The age of consent in Wisconsin is 18 and there is no "close in age" exemption. That means that if one or the other of you is even one minute under 18 and the other is over, then sexual contact is illegal. Period.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

There are no laws that define or restrict "dating". Its when sex or sexual contact (does not have to be physical) that the law applies. Since the age of consent varies by state what your states law on age of consent will tell if charges can be filed. In regards to parents they have 100% control over who their minor child spends time with. This means even if the age of consent is 17 or lower they can legally forbid contact with their child and thus make contact (sexual or not) illegal.

Weigh A Pie...the last county before Canada

What an interesting choice of screen-name.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmatique View Post
    What an interesting choice of screen-name.

I agree. At first I was very confused.

Weigh A Pie...the last county before Canada

I have a feeling at least one or two of us know who this might be.

But, c'est la vie.

Super Moderator

Oh, lordy, that hadn't occurred to me...
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Someone has a secret admirer, I see!
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Thanks for the quick answers.

At everyone else, no, there's no way you know who I am, as I don't actually go by this name. Was just...something completely random I choose for here. XD;

Super Moderator

Uh-huh.....

Doggie41, yo. Like dig man. You're 20. She's 17. What is it about 17 that you don't understand? What is it that tells you that *somehow* there is a different rule *somewhere* for you and her? You're no different than the next kid.

It amazes the hell out of me. We get these kids that think somehow their case is different. Gawd, I have no idea what could lead them to think they're THAT special. As if God Himself puts this golden aura around them that only they & God can see, and somehow the whole world is to becken to their littlest of desires.

Doggie41.... You're 20. She's 17.

If you touch her wrong I hope her daddy meets ya out back.
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!