Thread: Tenants abandoned house, left me to foreclose Georgia

Default Tenants abandoned house, left me to foreclose Georgia

I have a house in Georgia that I rented out to a lady with her daughter and grandson in May 2010. After that I started medical school and so do not have any income since then. Within months, I was problems collecting rents from my tenants, trying to put them on payment plans, paying the mortgage out of my own pocket as long as I could. Once they stopped answering my calls, I went to go see them and they refused to open the door even when I visited. I sent them an eviction letter, SEVERAL e-mails and they never replied. Frustrated and way too busy with school, I just gave up contacted them and defaulted on my house payments. My credit was hurt from my dad committing fraud with me so I figured another foreclosure is not going make a difference. I believe they tenants eventually abandoned the house and never gave my my keys back even. I have no access to the house and it's in the auction process. I'm thinking of trying to get it open, fix it up and short sale it to maybe try to repair my credit now. Would I be able to sue my old tenants for abandoning the property without ever paying me the rent? I donít have their social security numbers (did not write them on the lease), but I could probably locate them to serve them. I don't know how much I could get out of them, but I'd like to try if I have a shot.

I understand these are long shots but Iím looking for some VERY creative advice on 1) getting out of this mess and 2) repairing my credit 3) recovering any of the damages Iíve suffered.

PLEASE HELP ME. I'm in medical school right now, getting married in 4 months and want to fix all this before I start my new life.

Super Moderator

Now that the home is up for auction, I doubt that you have any ability to force the bank to accept a short sale. Plus, a short sales doesn't repair your credit. It may not take as many points off your credit score as a foreclosure, but it still affects it.

You may have recourse against your tenants for unpaid rent, but you have to bear in mind that when a tenant terminates a lease, the landlord has an obligation to mitigate damages by re-renting the home as quickly as possible. By your own admission, you walked away and did nothing.

I don't mean to be critical, but it's prett clear that you were not ready to become a landlord. You made a lot of mistakes along the way and you've left it awfully late to try to rectify them.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Marketeer View Post
    Now that the home is up for auction, I doubt that you have any ability to force the bank to accept a short sale. Plus, a short sales doesn't repair your credit. It may not take as many points off your credit score as a foreclosure, but it still affects it.

You may have recourse against your tenants for unpaid rent, but you have to bear in mind that when a tenant terminates a lease, the landlord has an obligation to mitigate damages by re-renting the home as quickly as possible. By your own admission, you walked away and did nothing.

I don't mean to be critical, but it's prett clear that you were not ready to become a landlord. You made a lot of mistakes along the way and you've left it awfully late to try to rectify them.

Will a short sale at least prevent them for coming after my savings and putting liens on savings account? Or will I owe them money even with a short sale? I thought that is something an attorney can negotiate with a bank?

P.S. You are right, I wasn't prepared. I got ******ed into purchasing this property by my own dad (who has a load of financial issues) and when I got stuck in alot of problems because of him which ruined my credit, I finally gave up on this one to just make it go away. No more excuses though. Now I want to end it once and for all, properly.

Short sales take a long time, and need to be planned way ahead of when the auction is scheduled. Methinks should have gone to law school instead of med school....
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Angry Das ist in der Doktor!

Iscaredofmess understand these are long shots but I’m looking for some VERY creative advice on 1) getting out of this mess and 2) repairing my credit 3) recovering any of the damages I’ve suffered.
    PLEASE HELP ME. I'm in medical school right now, getting married in 4 months and want to fix all this before I start my new life.
    Creative advice?
    Sorry I'm fresh out.
    You've used it all up when I realized this is the third thread you've started....
    Makes me wonder on how many other web sites you're wasting their time,
    but I digress.
    If you have been dinking around with this for the last six years
    I have a suggestion or two.
    Plan on putting that "new life" you want to start on hold until you clean up the old one.
    Learn what the word NO really means and when to use it. Here's couple of examples for you..
    Repeat these over and over until they sink in.
    If I had used the word NO six years ago, I wouldn't be here right now asking for creative advice on how to get my butt out of the fire.
    Until I deal completely with this mess that I have ALLOWED TO HAPPEN,
    there will be NO medical school,
    there will be NO marriage,
    there will be NO way in hell this mess is going to go away in 4 months or 4 years,
    until I get my priorities straight.
    And here's a hint,
    the first two don't count!
    Good Luck.

.._________________
    ~ I deplore stupidity, I’m happy to admit to mine,
    and even happier when I can point out yours.
    Last edited by drruthless; 02-29-2012 at 05:04 PM.