Thread: I need information! Oklahoma

Default I need information! Oklahoma

I am 16 about to be 17 in august, I graduate next year and I would like to know all the requirements and laws of emancipation in the state of Oklahoma. All me and my mother do is fight and I cant leave until June because of truancy because I got sick a lot last semester. She keeps trying to tell me who I have to date and everything and I wanted to see if I could be emancipated, because I cant not handle the stress anymore all this stress is making my grades go down and to where I can not even concentrate on school anymore because my mind is filled with all of this fighting. Would I be able to get emancipated?

Super Moderator

No. Or, to be more clear, emancipation will not give you what you want.

In the first place, in OK there is only one right that an emancipated minor has that an unemancipated minor has not, and that is the right to sign a contract. An emancipated minor in OK does not have the right to move out without permission.

Second, in NO state does "I am not getting along with my mother" qualify as a valid reason for emancipation. It is your mother's right as your parent to tell you "who you can date and everything". NO judge is going to emancipate a minor on that basis.

Finally, even in the states where emancipation has a broader meaning than it has in OK, it is not a method by which a teen can leave home. It is a means to provide legal protections to those teens who, for reasons outside their control, found themselves living alone and who have demonstrated their ability to pay all of their own rent, food, clothing, utilities, medical care, insurance, transportation, staples, school fees and supplies, etc. AND who are making better than average grades. You have not provided any indication that you have that ability.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Super Moderator

Oklahoma -
    title 10, stat. 91:
    The district courts shall have authority to confer upon minors the rights of majority concerning contracts, and to authorize and empower any person, under the age of eighteen (18) years, to transact business in general, or any business specified, with the same effect as if such act or thing were done by a person above that age; and every act done by a person so authorized shall have the same force and effect in law as if done by persons at the age of majority.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Alright, Thank you for yalls answers...