Thread: 24/7 manned buildings Iowa

Default 24/7 manned buildings Iowa

i was wondering if there is some sort of law that if your work requires the emplyoees to man a build/structure of some sort if there is a law saying that there has to be restrooms with in so many feet of that area and if the company is required by law to keep those areas cleaned if the company provides cleaning for other buildings at work? ive been looking on iowas work force web site and cant find anything.

Sorry but there is not. There are general OSHA regulations that state restrooms must be available but they do not stipulate a cleaning schedule nor how many feet away it can be from your work area.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Super Moderator

Agree, OSHA standards require restrooms be available & employers must allow prompt access to them (cannot impose undue restrictions on using them) but that is about it.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty3 View Post
    Agree, OSHA standards require restrooms be available & employers must allow prompt access to them (cannot impose undue restrictions on using them) but that is about it.
    I know wording Is everything so what would be available and prompt access? Does that mean so many bathrooms per so many people who work there and does prompt access mean if you call for a bathroom break someone has to be there x minutes to take over your job so you can go?

Super Moderator

No, the OSHA regs are not that specific. There is no requirement of x bathrooms per person and no requirement that they must have a replacement there for you within x minutes.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Super Moderator

You might want to scroll down/review this link.

http://www.osha.gov:80/pls/oshaweb/o...ARDS&p_id=9790
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.