Thread: FMLA/attendance tracking. (Off topic). Kentucky

Default FMLA/attendance tracking. (Off topic). Kentucky

I am wondering what any of you use to track attendance/FMLA for your company. I really need to update the way we do it.

Super Moderator

Sort of. The key is that attendance is something that effects pretty much everyone and generally you want all hours accounted for each and every pay period prior to payroll being processed. Good time accounting systems are more then just "exception only" but rather try to help the employee and their manager fully account for all hours. Most companies consider time accounting to be a payroll function.

FMLA is different. FMLA has externally imposed rules. You cannot have the employee or their manager making FMLA classification decisions. HR really needs to get hands on with this. Past that, lets say that Bob is out sick. Payroll needs to know that Bob is out sick. Payroll needs to know how many hours (if any) to pay Bob for being sick. Payroll sometimes needs to know if FMLA is applicable. But payroll does not need to know details. Payroll really does not need to know that Bob has an antibiotic resistant form of VD, or who else in the company has the same issue. HR has a very real gatekeeper function that needs to be performed when FMLA or medical issues are involved. Everyone else needs to know what they need to do their job, but nothing else. And what everyone else does not know, they cannot gossip about.
    Last edited by DAW; 10-28-2011 at 10:38 AM.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

How do you currently track attendance?

Super Moderator

It's been a long, long time since I dealt with attendance or FMLA issues directly, but when I did I had an attendance calendar for each employee (8.5 x 11 sheets in a looseleaf notebook) which indicated what kind of time was being taken (sick, vacation, personal). Since FMLA is measured in hours I also had a spreadsheet that indicated which time was FMLA and how much time was applied to it.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Right now supervisors are completing "point sheets" for days employees are off. It is all manual. I would like to create some sort of employee database in excel or acess and was really looking for good templates someone might have.

It has been a real tough situation for me. I have been told that I need to develop a way to start track attendance and FMLA. We have ADP payroll and there is actually a function when the supervisor completes the timecard that they can indicate that an employee is "absent", "tardy", "FMLA" or whatever we want. But the problem is once payrol is ran, I cant or go back and change anything. (Example: if I need to go back and change an absence to FMLA or vice versa".

What I would like to do isbe able to download that field to an excell spreadsheet, where I could manipulate the data. I am just not sure how to do it as I am not an expert in Excel, Acess, or ADP.....

If your company really wants to upgrade I suggest ADP ezLabor. Handpunch timeclocks (use your hand to punch) upload the punches into an online program. You can customize your earnings code so one could be FMLA. Then you can run reports and among other things see the total for FMLA. It really simplies the entire payroll process but can be pricey.

I have used the attendance calendars in the past and found them cumbersome.

Super Moderator

You have several different issues here.
    - What you are describing is an "exception" system where supervisors do not report what happened, but rather (hopefully) report what did not happen. The problem is let's say that Bob has no time accounting for last week. Does that mean that Bob did not work any overtime, or that Bob did not work at all or that Bob worked exactly 40 hours? No exception reporting can look a whole lot like the supervisor forgetting to do anything. That is why many employer prefer accounting for all hours in the workweek.
    - In your system, the supervisor is the record keeper. What if your employees come back later with an unpaid overtime claim? A claim that the evil employer and their minion, the evil supervisor deliberately failed to record actual hours worked. By having the employee account for all hours worked and not worked, and having the supervisor review the time accounting, these sort of claims are killed dead before they start. Plus this catches the "supervisor not doing their job" events described earlier.
    - Your supervisors do not have enough knowledge/information to manage FMLA. And HR only has enough knowledge if someone actually bothers to give them good information in the first place.
    - I have used entirely paper based attendance systems that worked. Yes a good electronic system is better, but a bad electronic system is worse then a good paper based system. Arguably any system which fails to account for all hours in the workweek, fails to get the employee on the hook for submitting the time and fails to get the supervisor on the hook for reviewing the time accounting is a bad system.
    - If you automate garbage you end up with automated garbage. Ask yourself if the problem is the automation or the quality of the information.
    - Time accounting and FMLA are two different if related issues. Your time accounting system needs to with a high degree of accuracy account for all hours in the workweek and all hours worked including overtime. FMLA is handled by giving accurate time accounting information to HR to do their thing. HR basically need to take a hard look at all sick time, and basically talk to the employee when needed so they understand why the employee is missing time. FMLA is one sick time issue but it is not the only issue. HR basically needs to know anytime employees are failing to show up for work, something that exception based systems do not always handle well.

Super Moderator

At least in my experience, the HR person who records attendance and FMLA is not the same person who records the actual hours worked. When I recorded attendance, it was a matter of, was Joe here or was he not here on January 5? If here, the little box for January 5 was vacant. If he was not here, then there would be a letter in the box; S(ick- non-FMLA); F(MLA); V(acation); P(ersonal time); J(ury duty) etc.

If FMLA, then I would also record the number of FMLA hours taken and on what dates, on an excel spreadsheet.

But Joe's supervisor would be the one to record that Joe came in at 7:43, clocked out for lunch at 12:02, clocked back in at 12:31; and clocked out at 5:03.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

I created some specific FMLA hours codes because our employees who sick, vacation and other accruals to get paid while on FMLA.

So, if Bob used 8 hours of sick time on MOnday for FMLA, 8 hours is coded FMLA-sick. If he uses 4 hours of vacation on Tuesday for the same illness, it would be coded FMLA-vacation. If our of sick or vacation and its unpaid, there is an Unpaid-FMLA code.

Those draw from the sick or vacation accruals but allow me to run a report and be able to see FMLA hours used.
    I'm still not sure I am getting every hour accounted for but its a heck of a lot better than it used to be!
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
    Thomas Jefferson

In both my previous company, I both recorded attendance and FMLA. It is more common in smaller companies.

Thanks so much for the help. DO any of you have any programs you would like to share?

With our system, the employee has a swipe card that automatically records their time. This information is transmistted to ADP. The supervisor at the end of the week reviews the information for each employee on ADP then submitts the time as correct or incorrect with notes.

I just need to figure away to get the attendance info. I am in HR, we have a separte payroll person that does the time but we work togther. The supervisors complete "point sheets" for each absense but to be honest. I talk until I am blue in the face about the importance of completing them as soon as the employee comes back to work but alot of times it is weeks before i see them. (I know this is a separate issue but I only have so much authority).

Super Moderator

Unfortunately we are huge (we have about 5000 more employees than the town I live in has residents) and use a rather expensive commercial software to do all our HRIS information, including tracking leave. That was several jobs back I was describing above.

Quote Originally Posted by stryped View Post
    Thanks so much for the help. DO any of you have any programs you would like to share?

With our system, the employee has a swipe card that automatically records their time. This information is transmistted to ADP. The supervisor at the end of the week reviews the information for each employee on ADP then submitts the time as correct or incorrect with notes.

I just need to figure away to get the attendance info. I am in HR, we have a separte payroll person that does the time but we work togther. The supervisors complete "point sheets" for each absense but to be honest. I talk until I am blue in the face about the importance of completing them as soon as the employee comes back to work but alot of times it is weeks before i see them. (I know this is a separate issue but I only have so much authority).
    I use ADP ezLabor. If this is your system PM me and I can explain what I would do.

We (now) use ADP for attendance. As in it starts tomorrow. We finally decided to join the 20th century.

As for FMLA, well, you are talking to her. I did try the ADP FMLA tracker a few years ago but it was more hassle than it was worth. I built my own database and track it myself.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by ElleMD View Post
    We (now) use ADP for attendance. As in it starts tomorrow. We finally decided to join the 20th century.

As for FMLA, well, you are talking to her. I did try the ADP FMLA tracker a few years ago but it was more hassle than it was worth. I built my own database and track it myself.
    I oversaw the implementation of handscan timeclocks when I first started here 3 years ago. We went from calculating by hand timesheets to being able to download the hour totals into payroll. What a big difference!

Super Moderator

Automated time accounting systems are fine when they work but "efficient" and "effective" are two very different things. At some point, supervisors need to get off their backsides and actually review THEIR employees time accounting. In the 1980s we moved from an old Simplex time card system over to an Intermec bar code reader system. The Intermec system was vastly faster and easier to use. But employees still failed to punch all the time. Worse, if too many people were clocking at the same time (dozens of readers building wide), the system dropped transactions. Something the sales person forgot to mention. Garbage in, garbage out. One problem with "smart" time accounting systems is that they tend to make the people who use them "stupid".

Whether you use paper systems, automated systems, or have the time recorded on gold tablets by choirs of angels, REVIEW THE RESULTS!

Yeah, well paper records for 8100 employees, most of whom are non-exempt with fluctuating schedules, when we pay on a salary current basis was just insane. This should have been changed 20 years ago but at least going forward this should be better. The key is still going to be to prevent garbage going in, but we had that problem with the paper system as well.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

DAW, I totally agree with you. I have 10 sites which use the handscan clocks and the managers can view up to date punches at any time of the day. Yet managers are still surprised at the end of the pay period when there is OT.

When training I tell them to review it once a day and they can even run a report which shows employees approaching OT so I have no sympathy when they are surprised at payroll.

Our system can work beautifully if managers enter correct schedules. But they let it slide because they can so they end up doing more work. If they entered the schedules and let the system point out people who work outside their schedule it would be much easier for all of us.

Time and attendance is a constant headache for HR. Ours is done online which allows for less error, I think. If an employee enters something in error, a manager/supervisor has the authority to go in and correct it. We are able to track PTO, FMLA, etc. through our online services. We used to use time cards and paper tracking but thankfully we upgraded many years ago.

Super Moderator

I am fine with supervisors changing time, but it is important to be able to tell exactly who made what entry. Way back in the paper system days, changes were made in a different color ink and initialed. With automated system we keep track of who made what entry. Example, the employee says he left at 07:00 PM. The supervisor says the employee left at 05:00 PM. I am fine with the supervisor making changes, but we should see the supervisor back out the (hopefully) incorrect time of 07:00 PM and replace it with the (hopefully) correct time of 05:00 PM. It is legal for employers to change time accounting records, but it is foolish to not make it clear that a change has occurred, and spell out just who made the change. Past that point, the supervisor still needs to TALK to the employee. Either then employee made a mistake or the employee is playing games (or the employer is the one playing games). Either way, the supervisor needs to talk to THEIR employee.

We have an automated system. Everyone has a default schedule loaded and the only changes made are exceptions (sick leave, vacation, OT).
    I created hour codes for FMLA depending on how its paid. So we have FMLA_Sick, FMLA- Vacation, FMLA- Comp (local govt so we have comp), and FMLA-Unpaid.

When an employee is on FMLA I notify the Manager and those absences for FMLA are put in with an FMLA code. Then, I run a report after payroll is run and I have who took FMLA and how many hours.
    There are still mistakes and times when someone is on FMLA and that isnt used but I keep an eye on it manually too.
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
    Thomas Jefferson

Morgana,

I think that poster is spamming with the link. I reported the poster in another thread for the same thing.

Super Moderator

And the spammer is now gone.