Thread: Learner's permit w/o licensed driver Virginia

Default Learner's permit w/o licensed driver Virginia

Hey everyone I am a 17 year old male living in Lynchburg VA. I have had my learners permit for over a year but in order to get my license I need to take the drivers ed course. The reason why I haven't taken this course is because my father got laid off recently and we can't afford to pay for the class. My dad started a new job recently but has to travel a lot.
    On Wednesday October 12 I was driving to my evening classes at a community college. My father was travelling (his first week on his new job) so I was driving on my own. It was raining out and somehow I did not see the oncoming car and tried to turn and we hit each other. Luckily no one was injured but my car was totaled. The officer charged me with "failure to yield right of way vehicle turning left" VA law code 46.2-825, and also "learners w/ licensed driver" VA law code 46.2-335.
    The learners w/ licensed driver charge is a class 2 misdemeanor, and I cannot find what the failure to yield charge is. My question is even though I am guilty to both charges how lenient can the judges be, I mean is there a minimum penalty they have to inflict (I already know the maximum)? Is it worth hiring a lawyer? Am I totally screwed?

Also, I turn 18 on October 23, and the court date is November 1. Does turning 18 and becoming a legal adult effect anything? I am still meeting in a Juvenile court.
    Last edited by Michael I; 10-22-2011 at 07:43 AM.

Super Moderator

You can talk to a traffic law attorney & see if there is anything she/he "might"
    be able to do for you. They can also answer any questions you might have.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.