Thread: Abandoned Property New Jersey

Default Abandoned Property New Jersey

Hey guys!
    I am new here and I'm looking for an answer or two. I am also here to give my .02 cents on things so expect to see me around!

Ok so to the issue at hand! I know in some states if there is abandoned property you can start paying taxes on it and after 7years it becomes yours! I was wondering if such a law exists in the great state of new jersey!? You see the land behind my house has been vacant for 20+ years and I would like to get my hands on it...
    What needs to be done? What's this law called? Any and all info is wanted! Thank you guys!
    It's land that's on the side of a mountain too steep to build on and the ground doesn't absorb water well so you couldn't build on it anyways.

You should be able to find out through the county recorder's office who owns the property and whether they are current on taxes. Abandoned real estate is a state specific, and sometimes county or city specific issue.

The recorder's office should be able to either answer your question or direct you to the agency who can.

It's called Adverse Possession. New Jersey requires that you adversely possess the property for 30 years before you can sue for title. You're better off trying to buy or lease it from the owner.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.