Thread: New one to file under "can you tell me which law you beleive has been violated?"

Default New one to file under "can you tell me which law you beleive has been violated?"

I had an employee making complaints about his supervisor, wanting me to open an investigation. I saw nothing but interpersonal conflicts that needed to be addressed in the supervision structure. The person persisted, saying the supervisor's actions were "against the law."

So, of course, I came back with my very polite, "please tell me which law you believe is being violated." He sent me an e-mail quoting sections of the "Labour Act of 2003, Act 651."

Hmm, I'd never heard of that one. Though in NJ, legislation does get passed pretty swiftly, requiring retroactive compliance, so I figured anything's possible. I figured the spelling of "Labour" could have just been a quirk of the employee having come from another country of origin.

One minute of Googling revealed that the Labour Act of 2003, Act 651 is indeed a law.

In Ghana.

Employee is from a foreign country, but it's not Ghana. So this actually took some research on his part.

I replied that the law he quoted has no application in the US or in NJ, and that a thorough search of proposed legislation before the NJ legislature and before Congress failed to yield even a proposal to adopt Ghanese laws in an employment setting. In fact, there are hardly any pieces of proposed legislation in NJ seeking to adopt Ghanese law in any setting.

We'll see what his response is.
    Last edited by TSCompliance; 09-19-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: ugh, made a typo in title and can't fix it.

Super Moderator

Just out of curiosity, what is the supervisor doing that is illegal in Ghana?

(roflol)
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Something like "not conscientiously pursuing her official professional mandate in the workplace."

Apparently that's the law in Ghana.

Good thing we're not adopting foreign employment laws.

In Indonesia, you cannot compel a female employee to work on the 1st or 2nd day of her mentrual period.

In Myanmar employers have to pay employees for 21 holidays per year, in addition to 30 sick days, 10 days "earned leave," and 6 days "casual leave."

In Chad, you cannot discriminate based on ethnicity, but it's perfectly legal to discriminate based on race or color. Oh, and sexual harassment is not legally recognized, so it's perfectly a-okay.

IIRC the Ghana law would apply in Detroit, wouldn't it?
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!