Thread: Retaliation and wrongful termination Virginia

Default Retaliation and wrongful termination Virginia

Being management, I reported director for numerous discrimination events to Present of company. I couldn't report to HR because she was involved in issuing English only policy to one particular cubicle only. Within 24 business hours later, I was told by President that I was "not a good fit in company" and demoted for creating a division between races within the department. Stated that "he's known the accused for a long time and she does not have that kind of personality". A week later, same accuser reported me to have left without permission (timesheet says other wise) and stated that I was insubordinate for someone reporting to her that I said "I don't care of she writes me up, I don't give a @@@@". I've been an employee for 16 years and was clearly violated of my rights and used as an example by terminating me. A1 priority with EEOC and upcoming fact finding interview with unemployment. Witness and documentation will show retaliation. What information should I share in unemployment 3 way call with former employer and unemployent deputy?

Super Moderator

You tell them what happened & just be truthful.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Default What rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Betrayed View Post
    Being management, I reported director for numerous discrimination events to Present of company. I couldn't report to HR because she was involved in issuing English only policy to one particular cubicle only. Within 24 business hours later, I was told by President that I was "not a good fit in company" and demoted for creating a division between races within the department. Stated that "he's known the accused for a long time and she does not have that kind of personality". A week later, same accuser reported me to have left without permission (timesheet says other wise) and stated that I was insubordinate for someone reporting to her that I said "I don't care of she writes me up, I don't give a @@@@". I've been an employee for 16 years and was clearly violated of my rights and used as an example by terminating me. A1 priority with EEOC and upcoming fact finding interview with unemployment. Witness and documentation will show retaliation. What information should I share in unemployment 3 way call with former employer and unemployent deputy?
    What rights do you believe were violated? If you were fired for reporting something to the EEOC, that would be illlegal retaliation. You are not generally protected for complaining about something internally.

If you reported incidents of job discrimination in good faith and your company responded by first demoting you and then terminating you, you appear to have solid grounds for pursuing a retaliation claim against your former employer.

You should speak with a plaintiff-side employment law attorney ASAP. While it is good you have already filed with EEOC -- indeed it is a prerequisite to proceeding with a Title VII lawsuit -- you will probably want your own attorney to advocate for you and otherwise advance your interests here. While the EEOC will on rare occasions launch lawsuits on behalf of complainants, the best tangible benefit you will likely reap from filing with the agency is an opportunity to mediate your claims. Assuming mediation takes place, you want to have your own lawyer negotiating on your behalf.

In all likelihood, the UI office will not want the gory details leading up to your EEOC claim. They will want to know what events led up to termination. Your employer will say you left without notifying someone, and you used insubordinate language. You refute that by saying you were on the premises, and your timesheet reflects that. You also tell them did not say those words. The state decides whose story they believe more.

Be honest, be truthful, do not get emotional. I realize you are probably very angry and upset over what is happening, but remain calm and professional. Take notes of what everyone says, and try to concisely refute your employer's story when it's your turn to talk.

Good luck to you.