Thread: I want to be emancipated. Colorado

Exclamation I want to be emancipated. Colorado

Hi, I'm new to all of this but I was wondering what it would take for me to get emancipated. I am 16 and pregnant, my boyfriend and I are goin to get married but my parents dont have consent. I live with my mother and she is verbally abusive. I dont want to have a child in this kind of environment. My boyfriend and I got permision from his mother to live with her in New Mexico. She will help us out untill he gets a jobs and we can find our own place to live. I will still go to school because I want an education. But I was wondering if I can emancipated.

Blackwolf0940

Weigh A Pie...the last county before Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolf0940 View Post
    Hi, I'm new to all of this but I was wondering what it would take for me to get emancipated. I am 16 and pregnant, my boyfriend and I are goin to get married but my parents dont have consent. I live with my mother and she is verbally abusive. I dont want to have a child in this kind of environment. My boyfriend and I got permision from his mother to live with her in New Mexico. She will help us out untill he gets a jobs and we can find our own place to live. I will still go to school because I want an education. But I was wondering if I can emancipated.

Blackwolf0940

You have no chance of becoming emancipated.

Being pregnant at 16 tells the court that you need more, not less, adult supervision.

Please read the other posts about emancipation.

Super Moderator

And on the basis of the living situation you have described, you would not qualify to be emancipated even if you were not pregnant, and even if there were a court procedure in CO for emancipation, which there is not.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Super Moderator

Colorado - Colorado does not have a statutorily defined procedure for emancipation. It recognizes emancipation in its statutes though.

Quoting Colorado Code 19-1-103. Definitions

"(45) "Emancipated juvenile", as used in section 19-2-511, means a juvenile over fifteen years of age and under eighteen years of age who has, with the real or apparent assent of the juvenile's parents, demonstrated independence from the juvenile's parents in matters of care, custody, and earnings. The term may include, but shall not be limited to, any such juvenile who has the sole responsibility for the juvenile's own support, who is married, or who is in the military."

Emancipation only means that you can sign your own contracts. If the marriage or military service ends before 18th birthday, then minor reverts back to parental care.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Lightbulb really?

I was 16 and my non-custodial father lived in LA. And I moved to rent a room from my friends parent because I didn't get along with my mother. She let me move out. I had a job for 2 years at a fast food restaurant and a second job during the summer at the gym. I had a cheap car that I paid for, in my parents name of course. and I filed for emancipation at my local court. I said I didn't have a relationship with my father and I didn't live with my mother, I was very capable of supporting myself and I need emancipation to sign a lease on an apartment. I got the emancipation. The court notified both of my parents that they no longer had custody of me and I was officially and adult. Wow!!! They were mad!!!! All I wanted to do was be independent. My mother got the emancipation set aside. Now I was mad. She even made me move home with her, and then took me 800 miles away to a new town to make sure we lived in the same town as my older brother in college. Well I also enrolled in college. My boyfriend came every weekend to see me. We asked if we could get married, They said no. I'm still 16 at this point. We got pregnant on purpose. After we told them they let us get married. My mom didn't want to raise anymore babies. Its been 20 years now. They say hind sight is 20/20. Don't move out of your mother's house. Don't move in with your boyfriend. Don't move out of state. I did it the hard way. Learn from other peoples mistakes and live your life the easy way. Stay at home as long a possible. Having a baby will turn your world upside down. Your life will never be the same. (if your a good mom) finish school, finish college. Make a contract with your parents and tell them what you need. and Ask them what they need in return. If you need help finding a job, your not ready to move out.

I understand what you're saying, Nurse.

But seriously? A contract? Heck no. A 16 year old is a MINOR and frankly the parents need to stand up and actually be parents, and start parenting the child on their terms.

Google "Kicked out of the garden of eden parenting" or similar.

It works.

Red face 16 year old pregnant kids have to grow up fast

She is making grown up decisions. Now she is in charge of a new life. The contract is only for the parent and child to have a meeting of the minds. The only way to parent is with good communication. Now there will be a new famy dynamic. What's wrong with putting it in writing so each party can refer back to it if a dispute arises.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali-nurse View Post
    She is making grown up decisions. Now she is in charge of a new life. The contract is only for the parent and child to have a meeting of the minds. The only way to parent is with good communication. Now there will be a new famy dynamic. What's wrong with putting it in writing so each party can refer back to it if a dispute arises.

These are parenting differences which have nothing to do with the OP's post. Because legally? She does what her parents TELL her to do.

End of story.