Thread: Minimizing my Exposure --- Massachusetts

Angry Minimizing my Exposure --- Massachusetts

I have a stepson that I recently put on my insurance policy. Here's the back-story.

When he was 17, he got involved in some "other than legal" methods of earning money. He was about 5 months away from graduating HS and I gave him 3 options;

1) Join the Military

2) Get a full time Job

3) Enroll and attend college. I told him that if he was smart, he would milk option #3 and take 1 class a semester for the next 7 years!!!

Well he chose to accept NONE of the 3 options and upon graduation day, his bags were already packed and he was "moved out" to embrace the world and spread his wisdom among his peers. Well, shortly after THAT didnt work out - he moved into his Grandmothers house as, she was convinced that I was very insensitive to his needs and that I had no idea what it takes to raise a child in today's society. (despite my own 2 productive & engaged children) I tried to review his 3 options with her but, it didnt work out. I was just being "stubborn & ignorant"....Sooooo now, we dont talk! (no loss, now she gets Xmas cards and invites to T-giving day dinners, KNOWING that she wont accept! LOL )

Fast forward 2 years and now SHE's tired of having the cops drive by her house - looking for "the dealer". So, she tells him he's gotta go. But of course NOW....he's incorrigible! lol So he schmoozes his way back into our house, but he has a full time job and $$ to buy a car, so I give him a chance. For 3 months he really **seems** to be trying to get his life together. Soo......I relent, I sign as part owner of his car so he can be on our policy at a fraction of what a sole policy would cost and add him to my insurance policy so he can afford to be covered. We have the obligatory long talk about driving under the influence, letting others drive his car, being responsible...etc. He pays his part of the policy on time and in full....all is well

Last week I see someone who I "think" is driving his car but im held up by a traffic light and cant confirm it. Today, his car drives RIGHT BY MY HOUSE with someone else driving it!! (no mistake, dent on hood and fender is unmistakable).

So I tell him that as of tomorrow 29 Jun 0800 his insurance is cancelled. He is of course upset, mad and does'nt understand the "big deal" someone was running an errand for him. I refuse to discuss it with him and dont even try to get him to understand that the offer was extended to HIM and HIM alone. Not his friends, GF or whoever. He doesnt understand the liability he has invited into my life.....words are exchanged, issue solved.

My concern is that after I cancel him off our policy in the AM when they open, what is my exposure because I am still signed as 1/2 owner. Should I sign the title over to him? Tell the insurance company that I am OFF the car? Notify the DMV of my being removed from the title?

My concern is that he drives or lets someone else drive the car, has an accident and i'm held 1/2 responsible because im part owner......despite taking him/the car - off the policy.

Any/all help is appreciated.

Uugghhhhh.........Kids...

Exclamation Das ist in der Doktor!

My concern is that after I cancel him off our policy in the AM when they open, what is my exposure because I am still signed as 1/2 owner. Should I sign the title over to him? Tell the insurance company that I am OFF the car? Notify the DMV of my being removed from the title?
    I’d sign the car over to him,
    GO to the DMV and do the transfer of title yourself, that way you’ll know it gets done.
    Then tell the insurance company that your OFF the car.

My concern is that he drives or lets someone else drive the car, has an accident and I’m held 1/2 responsible because I’m part owner......despite taking him & the car - off the policy
    I’d be sweating bullets if I were you, until YOUR name is off that title you’re likely to be the one who will be held FULLY responsible.
    Think about it, if somebody gets in an accident with an uninsured vehicle, who do you think they are going to go after, you or the kid?
    I’d wait and cancel the insurance AFTER the title is in his name…
    Good Luck
    ..__________________
    ~ Free advice is like a public defender,
    …you get what you pay for. ~ drr
    Last edited by drruthless; 08-06-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Default Update

I wasnt able to get in contact with him to get the plates back. In MA, the car is registered until the plates are returned. So, I spoke with my insurance agent and they told me to put in for "lost plates" and bring that slip to the registry.

I did that and now its officially out of my name!! Now if he gets into an accident - its only on him, not me. Plus the plates will come back as "stolen/lost".

Lesson learned I guess.....

Thanks for the update. One less worry for you.

yeah, I guess. I just wanted to help the kid, he gave all indications that he was trying to change his life. I just couldnt afford to take that chance. That someone would drive drunk or wreck into another car - or WORSE! Injure someone.

At least the wife is coming around now to my thinking and its not a hot topic any more.

Exclamation Das ist in der Doktor!

Glad to hear that you’re off the hook.
    Sometimes you can help someone more,
    by not helping them at all.
    Life has a way of teaching us things that our parents couldn’t’ or wouldn’t,
    with fatal consequences sometimes,
    for not paying attention.

..____________________
    ~ There are three kinds of people:
    There are the ones who learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    And then there are those who have to pee on the electric fence,
    …and find out for themselves.
    Last edited by drruthless; 08-30-2011 at 04:31 PM.