Thread: Extradition, Misdemeanor, First Offense Florida

Default Extradition, Misdemeanor, First Offense Florida

I was arrested in October 2010 for a 647 (B) in Orange County, California. (Prostitution). It was my first ever offense. I'm a resident of Florida. I was O/R'd and very 'compliant' with the officers.

Situation, not sure if it matters, happened like this:
    I was arrested by an undercover on a prostitution sting operation. He laid the cash down and asked things like 'how much bang do I get for my buck?'. I always redirected the question and made reference to other things. 'Just sit down and relax, lets get to know eachother.' Cop'd say 'so, uh, what do I get here?' I would say 'Not so fast, talk to me honey.'
    I never stated any donation on the phone or in person. He got himself undressed to his boxers after I suggested he get comfortable, in that general term.
    No negotiation or agreement had been made, after bullsh**ing about how I cut my hair and asking about his tattoos, I leaned in to kiss him *mind you, I didn't lean all the way in, he met me partial way* after which I let my hand stray lower. Then a bang bang on the door.
    They asked me if I knew what I was being arrested for. I 'didn't understand'. They said prostitution. I said I've done nothing wrong, never agreed to anything, I posted a personals ad for a date, nothing else. Officers response: 'But you did grab his ****, right?' I said 'well yes. He was a good looking guy and I figured why not?'

Not sure if those details were needed, but whatever. They did find condom wrappers under the bed, which I never admitted were mine. They confiscated 'evidence' which they said was my 'kit'. Actually it really was my sex toy I'd brought with me when I flew in to town. The condoms were for safety but also used when I was home with my boyfriend, which I said.

Anyway. Moving on. After getting O/R'd, I figured it be best to lay low. Went back to my home state of Florida. I knew my court date was the end of November 2010 and when the time came I couldn't afford to fly back.

There is currently a bench warrant for my arrest.

In the beginning of March 2011, I tried to turn myself in to the local police department. Brought all the paperwork I had gotten and showed it. They were nice, made some calls, and said the the courthouse said there was no current bench warrant. I didn't argue, but even now it says there is still one. Its a matter of public record. They sent me home without a slap on the wrist or anything. On that public record also, was apparently the public defender assigned to my case. For the last 2 weeks I've been calling her twice a day on Mondays and Tuesdays, since according to her voicemail those are the only days she works. I left a voicemail once a day on those two days each week with my case number, name and number. I still have yet to hear back.

My best friend and I are hoping to get an apartment in the end of July or beginning of August and I'm not sure if it'll show up? That, or prevent me from getting approved for the apartment after the background check. Is a misdemeanor enough to deny you?

How do I 'fix' this situation anyway?

Also, can I fly back to California and be okay if I don't get pulled over or whatever? And if I do, will they arrest me? From what I understand the statute of limitations for a 647 (B) in California is 1 year unless person is a fugitive. Would I be considered a fugitive since I returned to my home state, or would they not know if I did or didn't? The one year would be up in October, then would I be safe to fly back? Can I fly to the east coast and not be arrested, especially since they refused to extradite me back in March?

The main thing I'm concerned about is how the background check will affect my ability to get an apartment, but I'd like answers to the others too. With a misdemeanor in another state, would a background check show that if done in the state of FL? I'm not sure how all this technical stuff works, guys, and my apologies for the length of this and the amount of questions I have.

Oh, according to that public record also, there is also a 'Failure to appear' added to it all.

Any answers, long or short, are appreciated.

Show up, get it over with, and take the slap on the wrist.

Default Show Up

Quote Originally Posted by GotSmart View Post
    Show up, get it over with, and take the slap on the wrist.
    ...Show up where and get a slap on the wrist? I can't travel to California, or I would have when my court date was up. I already tried to turn myself in locally and they pretty much refused me. I really doubt it'd be a slap on the wrist, do you have any links or anything as to where you got your information? Sorry, I'm new to this site and not really looking for 'advice' from just anyone, I'm looking for advice with provided links and/or proof of source of information/advice.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm new to this site and not really looking for 'advice' from just anyone, I'm looking for advice with provided links and/or proof of source of information/advice.
    That would require an attorney. The people here are all volunteers, not trained monkeys, er, attorneys. That you have to pay for. Sorry.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Default Ah ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Dodd View Post
    That would require an attorney. The people here are all volunteers, not trained monkeys, er, attorneys. That you have to pay for. Sorry.
    My apologies for the misunderstanding. After reading many of the threads I thought surely I'd get something a little more descriptive than 'show up, get a slap on the wrist'. My intentions are to get an attorney, and I've been trying to contact the one handling my case in California for two and a half weeks no with no reply.

I'll keep calling her.

Thanks for the response.

Exclamation Das ist in der Doktor!

Quote Originally Posted by jayce_creed View Post
    My apologies for the misunderstanding. After reading many of the threads I thought surely I'd get something a little more descriptive than 'show up, get a slap on the wrist'. My intentions are to get an attorney, and I've been trying to contact the one handling my case in California for two and a half weeks no with no reply.

I'll keep calling her.

Thanks for the response.
    I would urge you try a little harder or try a different attorney
    Would they extradite you? Probably not.
    You will however have a warrant out for your arrest that’s not going to go away and won’t help the next time you get arrested.
    Good Luck
    .._____________________
    ~ Free advice is like a public defender,
    …you get what you pay for. ~ drr
    Last edited by drruthless; 06-27-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Also, can I fly back to California and be okay if I don't get pulled over or whatever? And if I do, will they arrest me? From what I understand the statute of limitations for a 647 (B) in California is 1 year unless person is a fugitive. Would I be considered a fugitive since I returned to my home state, or would they not know if I did or didn't? The one year would be up in October, then would I be safe to fly back? Can I fly to the east coast and not be arrested, especially since they refused to extradite me back in March?
    This is what I was referring to. This will follow you the rest of your life if you do not take care of it. It can only be taken care of in person.

There is a bench warrant out, which NEVER goes away. It will follow you the rest of your life. My daughter almost lost a good job over a $12 check she wrote. She was moving around, and did not get it taken care of for a year. She got arrested and thrown in the slammer for a night. That was 5 years ago. It is still following her.

That was one Pizza she never should have bought.