Thread: when to say no Illinois

Default when to say no Illinois

Hi, im new at this posting advise from others. Im only a child just made legal of age last year. Today at work my boss asked for help. Hes an immigrant and want me to marry him so he can stay. He offered 8000 and I really need it for college. I want to say no but education to me means alot. What are some of the laws(facts) about marrying illegally.

Weigh A Pie...the last county before Canada

Quote Originally Posted by allyce28 View Post
    Hi, im new at this posting advise from others. Im only a child just made legal of age last year. Today at work my boss asked for help. Hes an immigrant and want me to marry him so he can stay. He offered 8000 and I really need it for college. I want to say no but education to me means alot. What are some of the laws(facts) about marrying illegally.

If you want to become a felon and spend quite a long time in jail, fraudulent marriage is one of the easier ways of accomplishing that goal.

Get a different job. Get two jobs. But get away from this guy.

(Because you have to live with him AND "be married" for AT LEAST two years before he'd be able to stay anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by allyce28 View Post
    If that happens, you will NEVER qualify for ANY student aid. FAFSA, grants, NOTHING.

Stop by a college and see just how the US Government will help you go to college. As long as you have a clean record. I know one person that managed, with 5 children, to go to college and get a degree in accounting.

What he is proposing is fraud, and WILL get YOU thrown in jail. 250,000 fine and 5 years

He is facing 10 years in jail and a $500,000 fine.

Contact the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ice.gov) by telephone at (866) DHS-2-ICE. The hotline is designed specifically to accept immigration violation reports. You can complain anonymously

Let him go back so an American can get a job. Even better, call immigration. That is just creepy.
    Last edited by GotSmart; 05-29-2011 at 06:58 AM. Reason: edited to show his possible penalty.

Weigh A Pie...the last county before Canada

I'm curious as to how's he's OP's boss...if he isn't allowed to "stay" legally.

What's his CURRENT status, I wonder?

Not just no, but HELL NO! Don't do it. It's not worth it. And frankly, he's cheap if he's only willing to pay $8k. I had a proposal like that, and he was going to buy me a house in Marin County (very expensive) and pay me $100k. I turned it down. It's never been my goal to be divorced.

There are many ways to pay for school that aren't illegal. And that don't force you to lie to EVERYONE in your life about your marriage. Do you plan on acting all lovey dovey with this guy when you tell your family? You'll have to live together. Do you want that? Do you plan to call your bedroom a 'guest' bedroom and not have any of your stuff in there? Do you plan to lie to all of your school friends? To not date during this whole time? (I think 5 years before you can divorce)?

I think it's time for you to look for a new job too, this guy could make your job hell if you don't agree.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Alice is NOT a cheap date!

Somehow, if the OP reads this, perhaps she might get the idea that it could be a bad idea.

Call ICE and get IT thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmatique View Post
    I'm curious as to how's he's OP's boss...if he isn't allowed to "stay" legally.

What's his CURRENT status, I wonder?
    Depending on the field or line of work, I'm guessing could be here on an F-1 or H1-B visa. Both legally allow (in varying degrees) for paid work to be done but obviously have time limitations to them.

Super Moderator

I can only concur with the other responders replies - please don't do it. It's
    not worth it. There are other ways to pay for schooling.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.