Thread: Parental Rights and Obligations in Pa Pennsylvania

Default Parental Rights and Obligations in Pa Pennsylvania

I just had a question my Fiance has a 4 year old daughter but he hasn't really been in her life that much. His daughters mother is nuts and I mean that in every sense of the word. She will call and harrass him constantly for nothing and it hardly ever has anything to do with his daughter. She sends him texts on how she screwed him up and he lied to her and he will never hurt her or their daughter again. She accusses me of being a homewrecker but I have never done anything wrong. They were never together it was a drunk night and 4 months later she showed up at a job site sayng meet your daughter. They never did a patenity test she took him once to domestics and he signed a paper saying she was his she turned around and dropped it. Recently she called him and starting flipping out and being ignorant and threatening she wanted him to help pay for daycare he said that was fine he would right them a check and hs mother would drop if off she went crazy and went off the deep end telling him thats not good enough and she wanted the money to be given to her. Since we have been together ovr a yr and a half she has taken back to domestics... he wants to sign up his rights and just and just be out of the picture for good he doesnt have any emotional attachment to his daughter. He said he cant deal with his daughters other anymore and he wants her out of his life. He wants to know if he signs u his rights if he would still have to pay child support if he has to he is fine with that but then he wants to make sure he gets to visit with his daughter she told him she is going to take him for everyhing he has and he will never see his daughter as long as he is with me..I don;t want him to make a decision that he might regret even though he says he wont but I feel he might... anyboy have any advice..

Weigh A Pie...the last county before Canada

Quote Originally Posted by LisaBailey28 View Post
    I just had a question my Fiance has a 4 year old daughter but he hasn't really been in her life that much.

Why is that?

His daughters mother is nuts and I mean that in every sense of the word.

And you're qualified to make that diagnosis? Really?

She will call and harrass him constantly for nothing and it hardly ever has anything to do with his daughter.

Constantly? Really? Be honest. How often? How many times per day?

She sends him texts on how she screwed him up and he lied to her and he will never hurt her or their daughter again.

He IS hurting his daughter.

She accusses me of being a homewrecker but I have never done anything wrong. They were never together it was a drunk night and 4 months later she showed up at a job site sayng meet your daughter.

Uh...a 4 month pregnancy?

They never did a patenity test she took him once to domestics and he signed a paper saying she was his she turned around and dropped it.

What does that mean? Is he the child's LEGAL father?

[quote] Recently she called him and starting flipping out and being ignorant and threatening she wanted him to help pay for daycare he said that was fine he would right them a check and hs mother would drop if off she went crazy and went off the deep end telling him thats not good enough and she wanted the money to be given to her. Since we have been together ovr a yr and a half she has taken back to domestics...[/qutoe]

She is entitled to file for child support. Your fiance is legally obliged to support his child.

he wants to sign up his rights and just and just be out of the picture for good he doesnt have any emotional attachment to his daughter. He said he cant deal with his daughters other anymore and he wants her out of his life. He wants to know if he signs u his rights if he would still have to pay child support if he has to he is fine with that but then he wants to make sure he gets to visit with his daughter she told him she is going to take him for everyhing he has and he will never see his daughter as long as he is with me..I don;t want him to make a decision that he might regret even though he says he wont but I feel he might... anyboy have any advice..

He can't "sign over his rights" like that. Well, it's true that he doesn't have to see his child - but he is still legally obliged to support her. The obligation will remain unless Mom remarries and her husband adopts the child.

He also has every right to file for court-ordered visitation.

But really? He's doing this out of spite. Not out of what's best for the child.

He needs to start thinking of the child, and not himself and Mom.

Before marrying him you might want to consider how he is treating the mother of his child. Are you really sure he won't treat you and any child you have together the same way?

His best course of action would be to go to court and have support set. Then he follows the court order. Voila, mom can't say he isn't paying what he is supposed to. The court can also set a visitation schedule for him.

If he didn't want to deal with her for 18 years, he should have thought about that before sleeping with her.

Agreed with the above. If he has hardly anything to do with his daughter and has no real desire to even be a bigger part of her life, isn't that a giant red flag to you?

And why exactly did they not do a paternity test when it was only one night and he wasn't aware of the child's existence until the mother showed up?

Hi, LisaBailey28,

Emotions are a strong pull and it's fun to be part of it sometimes. However, put yourself it the baby-mama's shoes. What if this happened to you? How would you feel about the daddy's refusal to take responsibility?

Right now, you're taking the side of your fiance. Think about this for a minute:

1. Your fiance had a one-night stand. If it were me, I would want to know more about this. Was he in a relationship with someone else when he did this? Does he often have one-night stands? What is justification for doing this? Has he been tested for STDs?

2. Your fiance is refusing to have anything to do with a child and not just any child, but his child. How is he around children? How is he with financial responsibility in general? If he is taking this responsibility so lightly that he is willing to sign away financial responsibility for his child, what else isn't he taking responsibility for?

We get posts on this board from men who are surprised to find they have a child from an earlier relationship or one-night stand. Sure, it's a surprise and not something they planned on, but the good guys own up and take responsibility for their actions. They want to be a part of the child's life. They want to make sure this child is cared for.

If I were you I would be taking a second look at your fiance, before he becomes your husband and before his problems become yours.

Good luck.