Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: supervisor stealing my hard earned tips Oregon

Angry supervisor stealing my hard earned tips Oregon

So i am the only American female Housekeeper at a local Portland,or hotel,and i noticed i never get tips unless i beat the head housekeeper/supervisor. Into the room,kinda weird i thought so i set her up and she failed.what can i do about it?

So can the head housekeeper legally get fired for stealing the tips?cause i set my head housekeeper up and ripped a dollar bill and left it in one of my rooms and just like i thought she strait took it,so i went to my manager and told her and she said it was against the rules for me to set her up like that..

Go higher.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Super Moderator

Is there someone else you can talk to? Does the hotel happen to have a HR
    Dept.?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Super Moderator

Agreed with trying the other approaches first. If this fails, you might consider filing a wage claim with federal DOL. Under federal law (FLSA), with limited exceptions tips are legally the property of the employee. What you describe does not fall under the legal exceptions. The employers likely defense is the "liar, liar, pants on fire" defense. Basically saying there were not tips to be stolen, and that no theft took place.

The employee needs to politely take to higher management as suggested. document the conversations at home. And if this fails, then a decision on a wage claim needs to be made.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

i understand the liar,liar pants on fire excuse..but im so fed up with it,i mean im the one doing all the hard (very hard) work in each room,so im wondering what way i can prove that she is stealing all of the housekeepers tips?i am the only american h/k there and the others know and suspect shes aking the tips but it seems like im the only one who is not going to settle for it and let it continue to happen..suggestions please...

See the prior responses. Go higher. But be ready to lose your job for accusing a supervisor of theft, even if you're 100% correct.

"h/k" ?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Default thief

When I say h/k it's short for housekeeper,but yea I understand accusing someone of theft isnt ok,but also on the other hand taking my tips isnt ok..I'm so fed up about it,the head housekeeper gets her full 8 hours daily and makes $9.50 an hour as I make $8.50 and sometimes barely get 5 and a half hours,and I bust my butt cleaning the room in 20min ''NOT HER'' she just runs around the hotel telling us what to do and how fast to do it (while stealing our tips) and to me its not ok,hotel housekeeping is a low barrel job I know that trust me,but we work our behinds off for min wage and so when I get to a room and see a tip,it feels so awesome,but to know the head housekeepers taking the tips that were left for me irritates me 'beyond belief' so like I said I put a tip in one of my rooms that she hadnt went in yet,and ripped a dollar bill a little bit in the corner,then placed it on the pillow and left the room,she went and took it 'like she does in every room,everyday' and im so sick and tired of it..

what is a wage claim?

A formal complaint against the employer for unpaid wages.
    http://www.boli.state.or.us/BOLI/WHD/W_Whhowinf.shtml

Patty, how would she estimate what she lost in tips? Many people don't tip housekeeping so other than the $1 she herself placed in the room what is her proof?

Agree with HRinMA. I'll confess to the fact that I never tip housekeeping when I stay at a hotel. Maybe I should, but I never thought about it. Besides, is the same housekeeper always cleaning the same room. I've stayed in hotels where the housekeeper places a name card on the endtable everyday and everyday it is a different name. Am I supposed to tip them all?

Default ..

dIts up to you if you want to tip a housekeeper,lots of people do (not that i get the tips) but then alot of people don't, but i understand that yea i don't have proof,that's why i am trying to figure out how. To prove it..so yesterday (as scared as i was) i asked her nicely 'when you get into our rooms and you see tips,do you give them to us"?she played the ""I don't understand what you saying responce,so in my. Broken spanish i told her how weird it is that i only get tips when she hasn't entered the room,and was wondering why i never get tips after she has already been in the room?and she blew the heck up on me,then ran to the office, then about ten mins later my my main boss came

Leeshurz,

You tried to talk to her about it and she blew up and went to management. Now that she knows that you know, she is not happy about that. She may be so unhappy that she may try to get you fired.

In a sane world, you should be able to go to management and tell them exactly what happened when you talked with her (no extra emotion, no additional accusations). You also should be able to tell them exactly what you have observed. Not what you think happened, but what you actually observed, with no added emotion, no added speculation.

If you don't feel this is the way to handle this situation, contact the BOLI per the link in PattyMD's earlier response and let them investigate.

In any case, do not quit. Start looking for another job -- you don't need a boss who steals your tips. If you are fired you should apply for UI benefits.

By the way, I always tip housekeeping. I know they work hard!

Good luck.
    Last edited by lolcat; 05-09-2011 at 11:44 AM.

''Continued from previous post'' so then the boss came and called me to the office,i walk in the there she is hysterical crying,so i sit down and tell the main boss all i was doing was asking her a question,then she buts in and says "no you say i steal a you tips" and i say no i just asked you why it is that every time you get into a room before me there has never been a t8p,i didn't accuse you,i just asked you a simple question,and she carrys on saying I'm accusing her of being a thief ect..then my boss says she understands i wasn't accusing her but the way i asked the question just came across the wrong way,so then me being the mature young lady that i am,i end the conversation by apologizing and then she doesn't respond so i apologize a second time saying if you took it the wrong way that's my bad,will you accept my apology?and she just stares at me for. A second or two then shakes her head 'mo's and gets up and walks away,so then my boss says ok I'm glad this is settled and i said oh its not settled cause if it was she would of accepted my apology and she didn't, and i said now i know she's going to retaliate..and my boss didn't say nothing at all.then when i walked out of the office all the other housekeepers were quietly giving me a thumbs up for actually trying to address the situation.what a joke right..i just hope i don't get fired,this is my first job and i just don't know how to handle this kind ofsituation other than be as nice as i can so no one gets mad at me, idk its n

I meant to end that with''its bad enough I'm the only one of the housekeepers who doesn't speak Spanish,and they don't speak English..so I'm already the outcast..

Oops i meant she shook her head No,when i asked her if she accepts my apology.

It doesn't matter if this is your first job or not; it certainly won't be your last.

Take this opportunity to work out how you want to handle this situation, then do it. You say you don't know what to do, but if you read the previous posts of the responders and use that information, there are things you can do.

Lolcat.. thank you for the advice,and yes housekeeping is a very, very hard job..i don't have a clue how hard it could be,but it is and I'm sticking with it cause i need to pay for school ..i don't have any. Kids neither and so I'm sure she figures i don't need my tips cause i don't have four kids like all the other ladies there,idk i been stressing to hard about it..but I'm not going to settle for that,

Oh yea for sure i took the information down and if it doesn't get any better I'm going take the next step..

Good for you for working to get yourself through school.

Keep in mind that your boss (and your manager) are still your boss and manager and should be treated with respect. You may disagree with the situation, and how your manager handles it -- regardless, be polite and follow their directions and don't back talk.

Your best bet at this point, since your manager is now aware of the situation, is to do your work and not talk about it with anyone.

Do not talk to other employees about it. Assume anything you say could be reported to management.

If you actually SEE your boss pocketing money, report exactly what you saw to management. Do not say anything to anyone else.

In the meantime, you can file a complaint with BOLI and they will investigate.

I am also sure that the main bosses will be setting up "tip bait" to see if it happens again. When I work in the hotel industry, theft of any kind was not tolerated, especially by someone in a position of authority.

Hopefully cause its so obvious, cause on her day off i receive tips. In 6 out of 10 rooms i clean,and its not just $1 sometimes they leave $5's and i know if she's taking my $1 dollar tips she's taking the $ 5 dollar. Tips to.neither me or the other 3 housekeepers get any tips at all until her day off..i swear that's our favorite day of the week,

I would hope she wouldn't be able to get me fired,that would be so nit fair,,well either way how would she be able to do that when she's not even a legal U.S citizen...

How do you know she isn't a citizen? You don't need to be a citizen to be legal to work in the U.S. And plenty of people who aren't your color or ethnicity are American, you know.

I'm pretty sure she's not a citizen,she can't speak English,so if she was able to get me fired for what she's doing,that would be pretty lame..oh well only time can tell..

Although you only have to be able to speak, read and write simple English to be a U.S. citizen, you don't know that this person doesn't; she may just prefer to speak her native language because she is more comfortable doing so. You do NOT have to be able to speak English merely to be eligible to work in the U.S. I'm starting to recognize there may be other factors in play here.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 05-10-2011 at 08:47 AM.

You can be fired, legally, for many reasons that you may not like, including accusing your supervisor of theft (whether or not it is true).

Patty, i explained the whole situation you are untitled to your opinion,

Actually, I am entitled to my opinion. If you don't want to be perceived as predujiced against other groups, don't say things like "I'm the only American". It has nothing to do with the situation at hand.

Super Moderator

Agreed. Besides, you have a good issue with stolen tips. Why go out of your way to mess up your own case by bringing up this other stuff that cannot possible help you but can very like hurt you?. Winning cases are narrowly defined cases with mnimal detours into side issues.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast