Thread: Suspended without Pay :-( New Hampshire

Unhappy Suspended without Pay :-( New Hampshire

I was just suspended without pay for a week! The cause is due to leaving the office early one day. I did ask permission, and was told they'd rather not due to the coverage being uncertain that day. Once I was at work, it was extremely slow. My work was complete, and the office with sufficiently covered with two staff - the normal coverage for any day. The two people I was working with suggested I leave for the day, and once assured the day was going well and my co-workers were fine, I decided to leave at 1:30 that afternoon. What do you think of this one? My title is "office manager" and I managed the office so that my absense would not be detrimental in any way. Shouldn't I have simply been talked to and possibly "written up" before such a heavy disciplinary action? I have only had one meeting with our board (a municipal Board of Selectmen) prior to this for a different minor infraction (misunderstanding, cleared up verbally) in 2007, then was promoted in 2008...I am sooo confused! Can I fight this???

You have no legal basis to fight this, although you're free to ask if they will reconsider. If they want to suspend you for a week, they can, even if the punishment is rather severe for the crime.

I guess they're trying to make a point - if you ask to leave early and the request is refused, you don't get to ignore the directive and leave early anyway.

I think "we would prefer you didn't" should have told you that you didn't have permission to leave early. There is no law requiring you receive a write-up or warning first.

Sure, you can fight it, but you could also lose.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Super Moderator

Shouldn't I have simply been talked to and possibly "written up" before such a heavy disciplinary action?

If you are asking whether the law requires that you be given a verbal and/or written warning before you can be suspended, the answer is no, it does not. It might possibly have been more appropriate, or it might not; that's not a judgment we can make. But it was legal to go right to suspension, either way.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Super Moderator

Agree with the other responders - this was a legal suspension. Of course
    you can "fight it" but you may not win.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Perhaps your boss viewed it as insubordination rather than leaving early. You were told not to do something and did it anyway which is insubordination.

As an office manager you need to set an example for the staff. Disobeying your manager is not the example that should be set.