Thread: How Much can a Doctor charge for FMLA paperwork? Florida

Default How Much can a Doctor charge for FMLA paperwork? Florida

I'm just wondering if there is a legal limit to what a doctor can charge for filling out an fmla form, I've heard of doctors charging as much as 25-50 dollars, but my physician wants $ 400.00 for my fmla, does this sound fair/legal? I can really use some advise, my employer is requiring I have the paperwork to them by a certain date but I cannot afford it at this time. I'm in a bind.

Super Moderator

There's no limit I know of but that is very high. How much information does the
    dr. think needs to be furnished? Are you seeing just that one doctor?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Yes this is the only doctor I am seeing

$400 is just nuts. The paperwork takes probably no more than 15 minutes.

The medical board of your state might have a maximum, but that's the only thing I can think of, and I wouldn't be optimistic.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Super Moderator

I doubt there is a max. amount a dr. can charge but you can try the state
    Medical Board - give it a shot.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

One other thing I just thought of. Do you have you insurance through an HMO? If so, you might call them and see if they have something.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Super Moderator

Or any managed care plan.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

$400 is absolutely ridiculous. I doubt it takes the doctor more than 5 or 10 minutes to fill out the form. (Since it's not a medical service though, it's not subject to health insurer's "reasonable and customary limits." I expect the doctor can charge whatever he wants for an administrative fee, even if it's highway robbery.)

Super Moderator

I did a google search & some other web sites say they can charge as much as
    they want though no one was charging $400.00. I wonder what kind of car that
    dr. drives.

A much better car than his patients do.

Super Moderator

If they can afford a car - hope they have good ins.