Thread: Step-parent adoption and termination of bio fathers rights Washington

Default Step-parent adoption and termination of bio fathers rights Washington

I need help please! My husband of four years wants to adopt my 6 year old son. My husband has been his "dad" since he was 2 and that is all he has ever known. I would like to petition the state to terminate my ex husband's rights as he has not seen my son since he was an infant nor paid any support. We had a custody/child support agreement as part of our divorce decree. He never abided by it and I never enforced it. I have recently contacted him regarding this and he wants to terminate his rights but is unwilling to sign the paper that the JAG attorney (on post) gave us to send to him. He is so worried about the 17k he owes in back child support, he keeps giving me the run around and we are tired of waiting for his permission. So, with that being said, is it possible for me to petition the Superior Court in my county to terminate his rights. I am pretty sure the statute here is similar to AL and seeing as he has not seen, talked or even called about my son for 5 years, Im pretty sure the courts would consider that abandonment and grounds to terminate them. Can someone please tell me how to go about doing this without an attorney..we are military..and broke Thank you!

Weigh A Pie...the last county before Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmith31083 View Post
    I need help please! My husband of four years wants to adopt my 6 year old son. My husband has been his "dad" since he was 2 and that is all he has ever known. I would like to petition the state to terminate my ex husband's rights as he has not seen my son since he was an infant nor paid any support. We had a custody/child support agreement as part of our divorce decree. He never abided by it and I never enforced it. I have recently contacted him regarding this and he wants to terminate his rights but is unwilling to sign the paper that the JAG attorney (on post) gave us to send to him. He is so worried about the 17k he owes in back child support, he keeps giving me the run around and we are tired of waiting for his permission. So, with that being said, is it possible for me to petition the Superior Court in my county to terminate his rights. I am pretty sure the statute here is similar to AL and seeing as he has not seen, talked or even called about my son for 5 years, Im pretty sure the courts would consider that abandonment and grounds to terminate them. Can someone please tell me how to go about doing this without an attorney..we are military..and broke Thank you!

While you do have have grounds for abandonment, honestly - you really do need to do whatever it takes to save up for an attorney. The LAST thing you want is for Dad to come back next year and have the adoption overturned on a technicality.

He's been out of the picture for this long, yes? So what's another 6-months or year, to save up the money?

Trust me - it's worth it.