Thread: 40 hours

Default 40 hours

I am an exempt employee in Utah and am wondering about the 40 hour work week. Am I required to work at least 40 hours per week?

If I work 2 extra hours one day do I have the right to leave 2 hours early another day as long as I get 40 for the week? Can they require me to be there more than 40 hours per week?
    Last edited by gray88888; 03-17-2011 at 03:31 PM.

gray, you should have started your own thread. But this is an easy one. Regardless of your exempt status, you are required to work whatever hours the employer says you work. Contrary to popular belief, exempt employees do not set their own hours unless the employer says they can.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Super Moderator

I will start a new thread for gray so we don't have two together & in case gray
    comes back with any additional questions.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Super Moderator

Am I required to work at least 40 hours per week? If your employer says you do, yes.

If I work 2 extra hours one day do I have the right to leave 2 hours early another day as long as I get 40 for the week? That is entirely up to the employer.

Can they require me to be there more than 40 hours per week? Yes.

There is no significance whatsoever to 40 hours per week for an exempt employee. Even if your payroll software defaults to put it on your paystubs. You work the hours your employer says you work; you come in and go home when your employer says you do. You are paid on the basis of the value of your position to the company, not on the basis of the number of hours you work.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.