Thread: fighting an out of state custody battle Alabama Alabama

Angry fighting an out of state custody battle Alabama Alabama

Im now 27 years old. i was in the army when my ex wife gave my children over to social services when i was about to be deployed, so my father said he would keep them until i was out. well when i got out i moved to wisconsin to start all over again. one year later i had a house and a reliable vehicle. when i asked to get my kids back he told me no, and at that time he had temporary custody. well 3 years later, i get my fiance pregnant and had my 3rd child. that same year my father came to visit and gave me papers that said he now has legal adoption of them. i called his lawyer because i was never even given a court date! his lawyer said that his father said that i abondoned my kids, and that he hasnt heard from me. alabama put a thing in the newspaper saying i have 90 days to appear but i was living in wisconsin and my father knew that. also when i called their court house they said if i want to appeal this i need a lawyer, that i cant represent myself??? i have all the papers, my phone records, the adoption papers, pictures of him at my house with the date, so they know my father knew where i was residing. my children he has are 5 and 6 years old, and they have been there all their life.

so i have a few questions:
    1) can i do this over the phone to save the money and traveling with a 5 month old baby?

2) do i absolutely need a lawyer or can i represent myself?

3) What do i do? he illegally adopted them!!!! What steps can i take?

4) i dont have all the money in the world right now with a newborn haha. do i get a wisconsin lawyer or an alabama lawyer?

Thank you for serving, sir! Let's see if there's an option for you....

Quote Originally Posted by rachaelisguppy View Post
    1) can i do this over the phone to save the money and traveling with a 5 month old baby?
    Likely not.

2) do i absolutely need a lawyer or can i represent myself?
    You can represent yourself, but it's a bad idea. Get a lawyer. In fact, since this transpired while you were serving, the Army should be able to help. Two more possible options are the VA and the VFW. While the V A and VFW likely can't represent you, they can refer you to people that definetely can.

But as this happened while active duty, the Army has a responsibility to help you. I won't say obligated, because that's a bit extreme for terminology. But they can help.

3) What do i do? he illegally adopted them!!!! What steps can i take?
    You know, because this is so complex, I'll have to let the Army lawyers tell you. It could be,m in some states, familial abduction- abduction by family. But that concept is so.....what is the word? misused and misunderstood it's not funny.

4) i dont have all the money in the world right now with a newborn haha. do i get a wisconsin lawyer or an alabama lawyer?
    I presume that you lived in Alabama when this started, am I correct? If so, then likely there. But as I said, the Army, as scary as it is, knows best.

Man, I wish I could help you more. But as I said, that's way too complex for me to answer. I'm confident one of the mods will step in momentarily though.
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!