Thread: California Lien Info California

Default California Lien Info California

I am a die caster in California. I have tools/Dies from a customer that owes me over $30,000. They company I thought went out of business due to unable to contact them for over 6 months. One of the owners just contacted me saying he wants his tools back. He says that they are his personal property and has nothing to do with the company. Is there a way I can put a lien against these tools?

Default Lien info

This is not a subject I'm very familiar with, but a quick Google search provided this link:

http://www.cab.ca.gov/pdf/misc/mechanics_lien_law.pdf

It explains exactly what a lien is, and how to do one. Good luck.

In CA, the mechanic's lien is for contractors and sub-contractors working on a person's home. This case sounds different, and it's not clear to me how this person came to have the customer's tools.... Maybe some more info is needed?

It kinda sounds like the way your car mechanic can keep your car until you pay your bill, or the vet makes you pay before they even bring the animal out to you. My vet makes us pay when we drop the pet off if the pet has to stay. I don't know if this is contractural or statutory though.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Sorry I did not explain in more details.

The company that owes me money owns dies that I run in my machines to make him parts. I ran him large quantities of parts which they picked up but never paid for. They left there die's with me so they can run it when they need parts. They went out of business for 4 months and restarted but claim they do not have to pay me.

Did they file bankruptcy? Did they close down their 'entity' (corporation, LLC whatever) and start a new one? What was in your contract? Oh, and you might want to revise your credit policies.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.