Thread: I need help understanding sexual harassment laws with a minor? New York

Default I need help understanding sexual harassment laws with a minor? New York

Okay my daughter who is 14 talked to me this morning and told me that she has been seeing a 19 year old guy and that he sexually harassed her. They did not have intercourse but she said that he did everything else to her, she asked him to stop but he didn't. I'm taking this to court and I want too see what would happen to him? any help? will he be going to jail? will we be recieving money? I know that it is child molestation and sexual harassment since my daughter is a minor.

It would be a crime even if your daughter was not a minor. You need to go to the police and see if charges can be pressed against the man. Your daughter will need to testify against him. Then unless there were witnesses it will be he said/she said.

The only way to get money is to get an attorney and sue the man. So you could end up with a judgement but no actual money.

It can be sexual harassment if this was in a work setting, but since it doesn't appear to be a job setting, leave out the whole idea of sexual harassment. This is a sex crime. Sex with a minor is a crime. Don't confuse things by labeling it sexual harassment, which is only a legal issue in a work setting, between adults.

Report it to the police. Make them take a written complaint. If he touched her sexually, it's child molestation. If he was just touching other 'parts' (not breasts, genitals etc.) it's still battery. It might even be stalking if he's done it more than once and won't leave her alone.
    will we be recieving money?
    Don't EVEN go there. Take care of your daughter and protect her. Let the police do their job. Yes, you can sue him later, which is much easier if there is a conviction, but you could lose the civil AND criminal cases real fast by looking like a money grubber who is more concerned about her pocketbook than her daugher.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Glad you touched upon that "money" piece that I was trying to avoid. What parent on earth thinks: "my daughter was molested, can I cash in?"

Besides the fact that any money received should go for therapy for the daughter. AND that mom needs to provide better supervision for the daughter so that she's not victimized by adults. Why on earth is a 14 year old allowed to see a 19 year old? She's not even old enough to DATE much less mess around with an adult.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by TSCompliance View Post
    What parent on earth thinks: "my daughter was molested, can I cash in?"
    Obviously this parent does. Which is probably why Mom posted her question in a labor law forum.

Am I the only one thinking "Mom's a pimp" or has that occurred to anyone else?
    Last edited by eerelations; 01-20-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Super Moderator

We don't really know if it is Mom or Dad who posted. Reginnald is "generally"
    (more commonly) a man's name if you go by the name being used by OP.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

I have teenage daughters and giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, the teen could be seeing the boyfriend behind the parent's back. There is a lot of free time after school for the teen if the parent is working.

Originally my post mentioned the unseemliness of the money aspect but I decided not to go there.

Super Moderator

That's true. We really shouldn't assume "too much."
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.