Thread: overseas marriages South Dakota

Question overseas marriages South Dakota

i got married in japan to a us millitary man and need to know if south dakota will reconize the marriage, i am a us citizen.

Super Moderator

Why wouldn't they?

The US in general recognizes marriages as long as they are legal in the country where performed. I hadn't heard anything to suggest that South Dakota runs counter to the rest of the country.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

we were told by the military that some states do not and i was making sure that SD is not one of them. do u know where i can find this info?

Super Moderator

The logical solution would be to contact the Town Clerk's office in the South Dakota town where you plan to live. You know, the place where they issue and file the marriage licenses?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

ok cool tyvm i will

Super Moderator

For the love of heaven, there's no limit on characters that you can use. If you're old enough to be married, you're old enough to type like a grown-up and not like you're texting. Not to mention thinking through a very simple question on your own instead of expecting strangers on the internet to do your thinking for you.

I almost didn't answer your question because of the text speak. I won't do so again.

If it's a legal licensed marriage then more than likely it'll be accepted.

As for the acronyms used, she could be sending it from her cell phone. I have a cell phone that is internet-accessible but has a 160 character limit.
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!