Thread: Independent contractor GE tax question Hawaii Hawaii

Default Independent contractor GE tax question Hawaii Hawaii

I live in Hawaii and do part-time editing work as an independent contractor for a company on the east coast. I signed an independent contractor agreement with them and will receive a 1099. My question is do I need to pay GE tax for this income even though the company is in another state?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that acronym; what is "GE tax"?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Super Moderator

General excise tax maybe? (or maybe not) Need OP to verify.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Sorry, I should have clarified that! Yes GE is General Excise Tax. I believe Hawaii is the only state that requires a GE license for freelancers, which I have applied for.

Sorry. I'm pretty sure we don't have anyone conversant in Hawaii taxes here to that extent. All we could do is research online the same way you can. I pulled up the the state tax website.
    http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....2.44.3.440.26

I used their search engine there to look for both "excise taxes" and "independent contractors" and came up with few hits, none of them seemed to be applicable.

You may just have to call them; you can ask your question anonymously.

Sorry I couldn't help.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Super Moderator

I thought you "probably" meant general excise tax but I didn't know how to
    answer your question either.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Hi Patty, thanks for taking the time to reply. I did not come across that link in my research, so I'll read through it. You're right, I should just call after the weekend. You're right, the answer just does not seem to be online... Thanks again!

Super Moderator

Sorry we couldn't be of more help to you though Patty was able to give you
    a link that you can read through. If you can't find what you need, call.

Thanks Betty, I really appreciate your responses.

Super Moderator

You're welcome. Happy New Year.