Thread: Starting a Business....1099 and Unemployment Massachusetts

Red face Starting a Business....1099 and Unemployment Massachusetts

I have a Partner in a plumbing business, that we had started. Both of us have been collecting unemployment for a awhile. I believe from what I have read on the State of MA, website, that I can continue to collect as long as the business has been part time. Which it has. Two guys roughly putting in about 15-20 hrs aweek, if we are lucky.
    My question is:
    Are we safe or is it possible that we may have to payback Unemployment Benefits? I collect out of MASSACHUSETTS and collects out of CONNECTICUT.

Another Question:
    We will be receiving 1099 for the tax year for the business. Shoud we stop collecting unemployment and file our taxes for 2011 for the business and skip 2010.
    I just don't want to get stuck paying all that money back. Neither one of us has taken a dime out of the business, we have put all our money towards Van, tools, office equipment, advertising, etc...

All and any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Super Moderator

Have you been reporting what income you do bring in?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

No I have not reported any income. The reason being is, I honestly believe that I have not made an income. All money has been applied to starting and running the business. I looked at collecting unemployment as a stepping stone to provide for my family while I tried to get a business up and running. Without the unemployment the business would not have happened.

Super Moderator

Understood, but I think you may be treading on dangerous ground. I'm not saying you will be asked to pay anything back, but before you go any further I think you need to discuss this with the DUA. There is a certain amount of time that they allow for purpose of working at your own business, and while it's been a few years if I remember right you're still within it, but as to what income you do and do not need to report, they're the only ones who get to make that decision. Better that you find out now than later, and better that you raise the issue than that they do.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.