Thread: hostile work environment North Carolina

Default hostile work environment North Carolina

Can someone tell me what is defined as a hostile work environment?

If this is in the wrong place I am really sorry- I was not sure where to post it!

Super Moderator
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

After reading that, if my bosses are being very rude and nasty to me day in and day out. Saying things that are unprofessinal and uncalled for to me when I am asking a simple question and causing huge amounts of stress on me. Then would this fall under that?

Thus, federal law does not prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not extremely serious

So if its simple teasing and offhand comments lets say more then 7 times a day- does that change it to where its extremely serious?

I ask because I am leaving for lunch or for work for the day so upset, and with a high level of stress that is being caused for my bosses actions towards me at work. At first I thought that maybe I was just being a bit sensitve about it, but more and more people are telling me that I should not have to be dealing with the amount of stress thats being caused by 2 people and it should not be going on at work.
    I have never gotten a bad review and I do a really good job at my job, so I am not sure what to do at this point.

Super Moderator

You need to read the cited sources again. I suspect that you are maybe looking for something that is not there.

If your bosses are equal opportunity jerks, then their actions are likely legal. If instead these folks are being mean to you and only you for a specific reason, then the specific reason may be illegal. HWE is normally something very specific to the reason the employee is being treated badly. There is no HWE related law that says that being mean per se is illegal. If I was (for example) a Chicago Bears fan, I can legally be very mean to all Green Bay Packers fans because one's sports affiliation is not legally protected.

Sometimes the best (and only) solution to a bad employer is to be somewhere else.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Super Moderator

Based on what you posted, this does not sound like a HWE. Sorry.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.