Thread: What's the best things to do now? Wisconsin

Default What's the best things to do now? Wisconsin

Would it be a good idea to send the mortgage attorney a copy of our final divorce stating that the house is granted to him and either he made profit or go into debt.. that shall not affect me. The house is going into forclosure and set to do a short sale next month.

Super Moderator

It certainly can't hurt anything. I would go ahead & do so.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

The morgtage is a debt. If both of you signed the mortgage, then you're still liable for it, along with the ex. Regardless of what the judge said. He gave title to your ex, but that doesn't affect the mortgage or your duties if you are a signatory.

I wish more attorneys would not screw up on this issue - they should have the judge order the husband to get new financing in his own name within 60 days or put the house up for sale.

If you're not a signatory on the mortgage (this thread seems to start in the middle, without the back story), then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Super Moderator

My reference book says it is best to furnish the mortgage attorney with a copy
    of the divorce decree when there has been a divorce. You might still want to
    furnish the attorney with a copy - it can't do any damage.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Dodd View Post
    The morgtage is a debt. If both of you signed the mortgage, then you're still liable for it, along with the ex. Regardless of what the judge said. He gave title to your ex, but that doesn't affect the mortgage or your duties if you are a signatory.

I wish more attorneys would not screw up on this issue - they should have the judge order the husband to get new financing in his own name within 60 days or put the house up for sale.

If you're not a signatory on the mortgage (this thread seems to start in the middle, without the back story), then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    I don't recall signing any mortgage except for the title. You see.. He was on deployed during the time.. His mom and I were both his POA. During that time they lived in MN (also where the lender is) and I was finishing my senior year of HS in WI (with no credit started). All i know is that his mom already got the mortgage approved. Also i don't recall ever entering in that bank.

Super Moderator

It sounds like you should be ok if you didn't sign the mortgage.