Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33

Thread: Boss threatening job/made to work on docs note/wrongful write ups Michigan

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11

    Angry Boss threatening job/made to work on docs note/wrongful write ups Michigan

    I have worked for my employer for 5 years. I loved my job. I started out as a cashier, then moved to a photo technician, then photo lab supervisor, and now I am a shift supervisor/manager. I have transferred to my third store to fulfill this. I had differences in opinions at my last store which was why I was so relieved that I had the opportunity for an opening at another store. Even better, it is in my town and saves me money. My fiancee/husband stays home with our two kids, 10 months and 3 years old.

    Recently, I have been coming into problems with my store manager. At first, I felt everything was going great at my new store. But now, I feel like my job is being threatened and even with the possibility of my old store managers helping. Back in March I had to make a visit to the E.R. as well as in April. Both times I had doctors notes and no problems. Once was for my son and the second time was for myself. I haven't had any call offs since then, and those were excused. Now, on the 17th I was suppose to open the store, but I ended up having to take my son to the E. R. because he wouldn't eat, drink, sleep, stop crying, fussing, etc. and he had a temperature of 103.3 under his arm. So I called my manager at a little after 3am to let him know I was taking my son in to the hospital. He said OK and to keep him posted. They said he had a severe ear infection. Mind you, he's 10 months. They kept an eye on his temperature until it would go down. I called my manager back at 5:30am and let him know I was still there and wouldn't be able to come to work.I didn't get home until 8:30am. I told him I'd bring in the docs note. When I returned to work, he wrote me up for calling off that morning even though I had to take my son into the hospital!! I told him he couldn't do that and he said it was still considered an absence!


    He then began to tell me if I ended up calling off and missing work again within for example, 6 months, he will have to bring me back in the office and have a talk with me and I may lose my job. Basically, my job had been threatened due to missing work for illnesses. I never got wrote up for the first two times. That was on a Thursday on the 19yj. That night, I needed to go to the walk-in for a bad infection going on on the inside of my left upper thigh. The doctor put me off work Friday. I was scared because he just wrote me up. My shift was supposed to be from 3-10 Friday night. So on Friday morning, I took my prescription in and gave my boss my docs notes. He keeps telling me he doesn't need any of them, which makes me feel really uncomfortable. And uncertain. I told him he makes the call, basically whichever decision would save me. He said he preferred that I worked so he didn't have to work a double shift, unless I could get someone to work for me then he wouldn't have to "document it", in other words he wouldn't have to write me up. There are only 3 managers including myself, one was on vacation, I was supposed to be excused, and my boss was already working. Therefore, I had no other choices to find someone to cover my shift. So I told him I may have to leave to go to the E. R. because the doctor that took me off that night said if it got worse in any way to go straight to the hospital.


    During my shift, the infection began spreading and turning purple so I called my store manager 3 times to ask him to come cover my shift only to get his voice mail every time!! In every message, I told him I needed to go to the hospital. Finally, after the third time, he called me back. His response was: "I'm in Clark Lake having dinner. If I left now it would take me an hour to get to you, which would make it about 9pm, the store closes at 10. It wouldn't make sense for me to come all that way. Besides, you only got a couple more hours any way". WOW.. I only said I had to go to the ER. So I told him fine, I was going to the ER when I got out of work. Which I did. They gave me IV antibiotics and a different script. They put me off Saturday and Sunday and said if it gets any worse to come back to the ER and they would probably admit me. They said it didn't help that I ended up having to work against docs orders. Yet again, my boss didn't want my doc note and when I called to tell him that I was being put off for 2 days, he huffed and blaintly said "alright, thanks, bye" and hung up. I ended up getting admitted into the ER Sunday night and they only let me leave today (Monday) on the basis I made an agreement to check up with the surgeon within 5-7 days to make sure he doesn't have to cut it open. I was ordered to not return to work until I see the surgeon and he says it's OK.


    I fear that even if they don't fire me ASAP, they are going to get rid of me. There are a couple girls in Pharmacy that have had weeks at a time of no call no shows and popped back up and he has allowed them to still work there. Another girl is calling off every week because she'd rather be scheduled for Rx than front store and she's still there. And there's a boy that is a front store cashier who is close friends with my male store manager. I think he's trying to get rid of me to give him my position. I've seen e-mails to our district manager from my store manager requesting this guy get a 5% annual raise instead of our set 2% raises. He's requested to get him moved into full time and he's also gone out of his way to let them know he has been training him for shift supervisor, having him go to the training courses (which I was thrown in and never properly trained) and that he is his next in line for the position.


    I'm worried I may be in trouble and all because of medical reasons and him wanting his buddy in my position so he can get everything he wants. I'm a good worker, I worked all the way up till my due date with both my pregnancies, I've worked when I had the flu and fevers of 102. I've gone through a lot of stress at 2 of the 3 stores I've worked at and never complained. I've been put into tears in certain positions and situations at work, and just kept on truckin’. I've been told I have a suit against my employer for making me work against docs orders and even more so especially because I ended up back in the hospital twice. What are my legal rights and what should I do? I'm the only one employed in our household. The kids are both at home all the time and I pay for everything. We cannot afford day care so their dad stays home with them all the time; I work very hard. I do extra things for my boss to take home and get paid a couple extra hours, I worked a double for him on the 4th of July so he could go stay with his wife at her parents cottage for the weekend. He cons people into working extra hours with giving them money out of his pocket and buying them Applebee's for lunch for whatever price to get them to work extra. No one gets a technical break because our store doesn't have enough employees and hours. What do I do? Do I have a case? PLEASE HELP!
    Last edited by Blumommy2; 09-10-2010 at 11:00 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,663

    Default

    Outside of Family Medical Leave Act, a doctor's note has no legal meaning in the workplace. A company can use a doctor's note to excuse an absence or a company can let every absence count towards an attendance policy.

    The manager may have told you to work, but he didn't force you. You made the decision based on your personal responsibilities.

    If you are a shift manager, you should not be comparing yourself to other lower level employees. As a manager, you are held to a higher standard.

    I don't understand if your fiance is at home, why he didnt take your child to the ER so that you could go to work? That would have been one less absence for you.

    There is nothing illegal if your manager wants you gone to replace you with his friend. It is also not illegal to give the friend a higher raise than the other employees or to move him to full time.

    I do not see you have any case. Even if you did, what would you be suing for, your boss to be nicer to you? My best advice, if you want to keep your position, is to work your scheduled shifts and to do your job to the best of your abilities.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Il.(near STL,Mo.)
    Posts
    14,888

    Default

    Agree, based on what you posted, nothing illegal was done by your employer. Sorry.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by HRinMA View Post
    Outside of Family Medical Leave Act, a doctor's note has no legal meaning in the workplace. A company can use a doctor's note to excuse an absence or a company can let every absence count towards an attendance policy.

    The manager may have told you to work, but he didn't force you. You made the decision based on your personal responsibilities.

    If you are a shift manager, you should not be comparing yourself to other lower level employees. As a manager, you are held to a higher standard.

    I don't understand if your fiance is at home, why he didnt take your child to the ER so that you could go to work? That would have been one less absence for you.

    There is nothing illegal if your manager wants you gone to replace you with his friend. It is also not illegal to give the friend a higher raise than the other employees or to move him to full time.

    I do not see you have any case. Even if you did, what would you be suing for, your boss to be nicer to you? My best advice, if you want to keep your position, is to work your scheduled shifts and to do your job to the best of your abilities.
    Actually, it is in our attendance policy and employee handbook that medical and doctors note are counted as unapproved absences and do not count towards your attendance. I have spoke to legal aid, a couple attorney's, my caseworker, and social workers who have helped people in similar aspects and they also said that it is illegal in accordance with the labor board to make you work on a doctors excuse, especially being that the doctor stated that it could worsen my situation. He did "make" me work. He's very slick. I've talked to plenty of people who have quit there because they treat people differently on how they want to treat them as to what they can get out of people. He told me "I don't want to work a double, but if you can find someone to work for you, then I won't have to 'document you' (by document he means write me up)". Now, my store is very small, including me, there are only 3 management positions. He was already there, the other lady was out on vacation out of town, and I was not supposed to be working. He knew I couldn't find anyone. Additionally, he knew he had already warned me that he would have to give me a verbal warning, then it would be to their discretion as to whether they wanted to give me further documentation or termination.
    I do resent that you said "work your scheduled shifts", because honestly, I am there more than both of the other managers. The other one is always out sick and on vacation. There have been times when the other shift has been off for 2+ weeks sick and not on FMLA and was not written up or warned. He didn't tell me about FMLA until the day before I was supposed to come back to work.
    By me working, I did end up back in the hospital, twice, and the second time I was admitted into the hospital. I know I am held to a "higher standard", but there is to be equality in a work place. A girl just sent him a text message that she quit the other day and now he's allowing her to keep her job and work when she can.
    As for him, being the store manager, he needs to make sure when an employee warns him that they may need to go back to the ER and call him 3 times within a couple hours saying they need to go to the ER, they cannot contact him.
    Going back to me working my scheduled shifts. I have only called off those 3 times in which have all been ER visits. My kids come first, and my husband couldn't take our son because we only have one car. Therefore, since the store was to open at 7am and I didn't get home until 8:30am from the hospital, it would have been more of a legit reason to write me up because I couldn't have had the proper transportation to get to work because he would have had the car. Then it would have just been not being able to get to work because of transportation issues. I have had 2 kids. I worked every single day all the way up to time for me to have both of them. With my youngest, I actually went to work not realizing I was in labor until 3 hours after the fact and was still going to try to make it to the end of my shift. I've gone to work with the flu and temperatures of 102 and 103 and worked my entire shift. I've worked with only the ability to use one hand. I've hurt my back 2 times in the matter of a week at work and couldn't bend well at all, but pulled through. I always work my scheduled shifts and then some. I stay after every single day at LEAST 15-30 minutes a day. I go out of my way to do work at home. But when it comes to health, I ain't worth a lot if I'm sick to hospitalization, now am I. And if I get fired for it, I know that is illegal, too. I have spoke with some people in the legal field. Therefore, I disagree with both of you. But thank you for the input. I don't think that you really understand what I have said.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    37,380

    Default

    I would suggest that you go back to these attorneys etc. and ask them for the statute number or the case law that makes it "illegal in accordance with the labor board to make you work on a doctor's excuse".

    Then come back and post that statute number or name of the case law here.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11

    Red face

    I will find out. Although, I see a lot of you are from MA, not MI... I do know that laws are also different from state to state, as well as when I first signed up for this site, I thought it was real attorney's and lawyers, not just peoples opinions. Thanks.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Il.(near STL,Mo.)
    Posts
    14,888

    Default

    Truthfully, there are long time Human Resource people on this forum that
    have been told by attorneys that they (the HR people) know more about
    employment law than they do.

    I would also be interested in knowing the statute or case law cbg requested.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    37,380

    Default

    And many of us have plenty of multi-state experience; I have had employees in MI.

    While you're talking to those attorneys who think that a doctor's excuse is an automatic get-out-of-jail free card, you might bring to their attention the fact that it is possible to buy fake doctor's notes on the internet for $5 or so. Are they suggesting that all an employee has to do is present a doctor's note, even if it's fake, and the employer is bound by law to honor it?
    Last edited by cbg; 09-11-2010 at 01:12 AM.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Il.(near STL,Mo.)
    Posts
    14,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blumommy2 View Post
    I have spoke with some people in the legal field.
    & just what do these people have to back up what they said?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cbg View Post
    And many of us have plenty of multi-state experience; I have had employees in MI.

    While you're talking to those attorneys who think that a doctor's excuse is an automatic get-out-of-jail free card, you might bring to their attention the fact that it is possible to buy fake doctor's notes on the internet for $5 or so. Are they suggesting that all an employee has to do is present a doctor's note, even if it's fake, and the employer is bound by law to honor it?
    And we typically have the willingness to research law for posters who need assistance.
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

    I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Betty3 View Post
    & just what do these people have to back up what they said?
    Years of experience in their job field in helping people in those aspects. Some of them even work for the state of MI. And no, I didn't buy my doctors notes. I'm not saying that you are specifically implying to me, either. But I have given them my discharge instructions with doctors names and phone numbers, times, etc. on them and also told my employer that he can feel free to call and contact the doctor(s) if needed.
    If an employer thinks that their employee would buy doctors notes online to "get out of jail free", then they shouldn't be working for them, but for legitimate notes and reasons such as being admitted into the hospital one person should not have to worry about losing their job because of it. Especially being that the other shift who is an A and I'm supposed to be a B, is always calling off sick and never getting disciplined for it.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blumommy2 View Post
    Years of experience in their job field in helping people in those aspects. Some of them even work for the state of MI. And no, I didn't buy my doctors notes. I'm not saying that you are specifically implying to me, either. But I have given them my discharge instructions with doctors names and phone numbers, times, etc. on them and also told my employer that he can feel free to call and contact the doctor(s) if needed.
    If an employer thinks that their employee would buy doctors notes online to "get out of jail free", then they shouldn't be working for them, but for legitimate notes and reasons such as being admitted into the hospital one person should not have to worry about losing their job because of it. Especially being that the other shift who is an A and I'm supposed to be a B, is always calling off sick and never getting disciplined for it.
    Are you privvy to the inner workings and dealings of the other employees? Or are you just assuming they don't get in trouble because they say they didn't or you don't see the disciplinary action taking place?
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

    I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    37,380

    Default

    And the responders here also have years of experience working with these issues, some of them in MI. If there was a statute, or there were case law, that stated that it was illegal to disregard a doctor's note, one or more of the responders here would have heard of it.

    So I continue to suggest that you go back to those knowledgeable people and get the name of the case law or the number of the statute, and post it here. THAT would be "backing up" what they told you. Simply telling us that they have "years of experience" is not back up since the responders here do also, and have a different answer.

    No one accused you of supplying fake notes; I raised the issue to point out one reason WHY the law does NOT say that an employer is required to follow any and all doctor's notes.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by CatBert View Post
    Are you privvy to the inner workings and dealings of the other employees? Or are you just assuming they don't get in trouble because they say they didn't or you don't see the disciplinary action taking place?
    Yes, I am. I am a supervisor and have access to the files and write ups. There are charts in our office that state when someone has called off, left early, arrived late, etc. for each person. He RARELY ever documents any of that on anyone elses chart, but mine is always documented. And, he doesn't have a chart for himself. He comes in late and leaves early as he pleases because he makes his own rules and he is store manager, so he thinks he can do what he wants, when he wants. He even told me he didn't want to be at the store and didn't like it, but it was the closest he could get to his dad, who is a store manager in another district.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blumommy2 View Post
    Actually, it is in our attendance policy and employee handbook that medical and doctors note are counted as unapproved absences and do not count towards your attendance. I have spoke to legal aid, a couple attorney's, my caseworker, and social workers who have helped people in similar aspects and they also said that it is illegal in accordance with the labor board to make you work on a doctors excuse, especially being that the doctor stated that it could worsen my situation. He did "make" me work. He's very slick. I've talked to plenty of people who have quit there because they treat people differently on how they want to treat them as to what they can get out of people. He told me "I don't want to work a double, but if you can find someone to work for you, then I won't have to 'document you' (by document he means write me up)". Now, my store is very small, including me, there are only 3 management positions. He was already there, the other lady was out on vacation out of town, and I was not supposed to be working. He knew I couldn't find anyone. Additionally, he knew he had already warned me that he would have to give me a verbal warning, then it would be to their discretion as to whether they wanted to give me further documentation or termination.
    I do resent that you said "work your scheduled shifts", because honestly, I am there more than both of the other managers. The other one is always out sick and on vacation. There have been times when the other shift has been off for 2+ weeks sick and not on FMLA and was not written up or warned. He didn't tell me about FMLA until the day before I was supposed to come back to work.
    By me working, I did end up back in the hospital, twice, and the second time I was admitted into the hospital. I know I am held to a "higher standard", but there is to be equality in a work place. A girl just sent him a text message that she quit the other day and now he's allowing her to keep her job and work when she can.
    As for him, being the store manager, he needs to make sure when an employee warns him that they may need to go back to the ER and call him 3 times within a couple hours saying they need to go to the ER, they cannot contact him.
    Going back to me working my scheduled shifts. I have only called off those 3 times in which have all been ER visits. My kids come first, and my husband couldn't take our son because we only have one car. Therefore, since the store was to open at 7am and I didn't get home until 8:30am from the hospital, it would have been more of a legit reason to write me up because I couldn't have had the proper transportation to get to work because he would have had the car. Then it would have just been not being able to get to work because of transportation issues. I have had 2 kids. I worked every single day all the way up to time for me to have both of them. With my youngest, I actually went to work not realizing I was in labor until 3 hours after the fact and was still going to try to make it to the end of my shift. I've gone to work with the flu and temperatures of 102 and 103 and worked my entire shift. I've worked with only the ability to use one hand. I've hurt my back 2 times in the matter of a week at work and couldn't bend well at all, but pulled through. I always work my scheduled shifts and then some. I stay after every single day at LEAST 15-30 minutes a day. I go out of my way to do work at home. But when it comes to health, I ain't worth a lot if I'm sick to hospitalization, now am I. And if I get fired for it, I know that is illegal, too. I have spoke with some people in the legal field. Therefore, I disagree with both of you. But thank you for the input. I don't think that you really understand what I have said.
    I do have employees in MI (at 2 different sites). Since I want to be in compliance with state law, I would also like to see the particulars which make it law (not company policy) to have to abide by a doctor's note.

    If you were eligible for FMLA (you, your condition and the company met the requirements) then even if you were not told about FMLA before you took time off, the time should still be counted as FML and you cannot be penalized for taking those days off. Although I cannot tell from your post how many days in total you were off for your infection.

    Your boss may have pressured you into working but he didn't force you, unless he locked the doors and refused to allow you to leave.

    I am a working mother so I understand the issues associated with children. However no company (outside of a few legal restrictions) has to take into consideration your personal responsibilities.

    The bottom line is always, if you don't like it there feel free to find another position more to your liking. You cannot force the company to operate as you believe is best.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    748

    Default

    Blumommy2, if you're so certain that the responders here are unqualified to provide you with accurate legal information, why on earth are you wasting your time (and ours) by continuing to post here?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eerelations View Post
    Blumommy2, if you're so certain that the responders here are unqualified to provide you with accurate legal information, why on earth are you wasting your time (and ours) by continuing to post here?
    AMEN!
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

    I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by eerelations View Post
    Blumommy2, if you're so certain that the responders here are unqualified to provide you with accurate legal information, why on earth are you wasting your time (and ours) by continuing to post here?
    I never said that anyone here was not qualified. I just said that I thought it was a "legal advice" site. That's all I said. I do appreciate the advice given. I just thought when I first came here, that it was more of a legal standing, that's all.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HRinMA View Post
    I do have employees in MI (at 2 different sites). Since I want to be in compliance with state law, I would also like to see the particulars which make it law (not company policy) to have to abide by a doctor's note.

    If you were eligible for FMLA (you, your condition and the company met the requirements) then even if you were not told about FMLA before you took time off, the time should still be counted as FML and you cannot be penalized for taking those days off. Although I cannot tell from your post how many days in total you were off for your infection.

    Your boss may have pressured you into working but he didn't force you, unless he locked the doors and refused to allow you to leave.

    I am a working mother so I understand the issues associated with children. However no company (outside of a few legal restrictions) has to take into consideration your personal responsibilities.

    The bottom line is always, if you don't like it there feel free to find another position more to your liking. You cannot force the company to operate as you believe is best.
    I was off for 1 week. And have to continue to follow up with a surgeon (was once a week but now it's once a month).

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blumommy2 View Post
    I was off for 1 week. And have to continue to follow up with a surgeon (was once a week but now it's once a month).
    Does your company have more than 50 employees within 75 miles and have you worked at least 1,250 hours in the past 12 months?

    If you can answer yes to all 3 parts of the above question, then you should speak to someone in HR or corporate about FMLA. It can be applied retroactively.

    So that week and perhaps the surgeon visits possibly could not be against you but your other attendance issues could be.

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HRinMA View Post
    Does your company have more than 50 employees within 75 miles and have you worked at least 1,250 hours in the past 12 months?

    If you can answer yes to all 3 parts of the above question, then you should speak to someone in HR or corporate about FMLA. It can be applied retroactively.

    So that week and perhaps the surgeon visits possibly could not be against you but your other attendance issues could be.
    Yes to all three. He gave me sick pay for the week that I was off, and for the day that my son was in the ER. But he wrote me up for that and gave me a verbal warning for the time I had to take off for the hospital and docs notes and surgeons. The only other time that I've missed were a total of 2 days. Once in April for my son and once in May for myself, in which both were for ER visits. Other than that, I'm there every day, sick or not up to par physically, and I'm there after my shift up to 30 minutes extra a day.
    I just fear that if the infection comes back, which the surgeon said it could, that I may be at risk for losing my job because he said if it happens again, then it would be their choice if I got further documentation or fired.

  22. #22
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Il.(near STL,Mo.)
    Posts
    14,888

    Default

    I would then talk to HR or corporate as suggested to see about having some of
    your time off charged to FMLA.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,663

    Default

    There should be some paperwork that your doctor needs to fill out before the leave can be considered FML. So be prepared for some questions and some paperwork.

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Betty3 View Post
    I would then talk to HR or corporate as suggested to see about having some of
    your time off charged to FMLA.
    HEY BLUMOMMY u havent posted on citydata Lately..just wondering how the case was going?

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5

    Question blu

    Quote Originally Posted by Blumommy2 View Post
    Yes to all three. He gave me sick pay for the week that I was off, and for the day that my son was in the ER. But he wrote me up for that and gave me a verbal warning for the time I had to take off for the hospital and docs notes and surgeons. The only other time that I've missed were a total of 2 days. Once in April for my son and once in May for myself, in which both were for ER visits. Other than that, I'm there every day, sick or not up to par physically, and I'm there after my shift up to 30 minutes extra a day.
    I just fear that if the infection comes back, which the surgeon said it could, that I may be at risk for losing my job because he said if it happens again, then it would be their choice if I got further documentation or fired.
    HEY BLUMOMMY u havent posted on citydata Lately..just wondering how the case was going?

  26. #26
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Il.(near STL,Mo.)
    Posts
    14,888

    Default

    HAMMER77777, You only needed to post your question once. The original poster
    may or may not come back & reply to you. The thread was started in 9-2010.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

  27. #27
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    37,380

    Default

    And she hasn't posted here lately either; if you look you will see that her last post here was over four months ago.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

  28. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by cbg View Post
    And she hasn't posted here lately either; if you look you will see that her last post here was over four months ago.
    whatever
    big deal

  29. #29
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Il.(near STL,Mo.)
    Posts
    14,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAMMER77777 View Post
    whatever
    big deal
    We were just letting you know you might not get a reply since poster hasn't posted
    on forum since 9-2010.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

  30. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Betty3 View Post
    We were just letting you know you might not get a reply since poster hasn't posted
    on forum since 9-2010.
    fascinating

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wrongful write up Maryland
    By Carolina41 in forum Maryland Labor Laws
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 09:35 PM
  2. Boss took me off Ft and made me PT-NJ New Jersey
    By OUCHTHATHURT in forum Discrimination Laws
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 10:55 PM
  3. 8 1/2 months preg. left work with doctors note and fired. Michigan Michigan
    By 09vallan in forum Maternity Leave - Pregnancy Laws
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 12:37 PM
  4. Wrongful 2-week Notice...no write-up Indiana
    By alise42 in forum Wrongful Termination Laws
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 02:56 PM
  5. Wrongful Termination - Unable to Find Work.... Michigan
    By happyinMI1983 in forum Wrongful Termination Laws
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-24-2006, 02:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •