Thread: Per Diem Rates for out of state work

Default Per Diem Rates for out of state work

My employer has sent us on a job for 3 week stints over a 1000 miles away from home. He pays for the hotel room and gives everyone 20 dollars a day per diem which combined comes of to like 55 dollars a day. The question i have is, does he have to pay per diem by law? and if so is there a set rate that is regulated by the goverment based upon were you are traveling to/from? I dont know about anyone else, but eating 3 meals a day costs more than 20 bucks. I dont wanna bring it to my employers attention until i am fully educated on the law, Thanks for your time

No, per diem in lieu of actual expenses is not required by law for private employers, except rarely with some government contracts.

Agreed, you can't eat terribly well on $20 a day, plus do things like wash your clothes. But legally, they don't even have to do that in any state except California. You did not enter your state as requested when a new thread is started.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

I can't claim to be completely knowledgeable on per diem pay, but I am quite confident it is not based on where you are traveling to (I am posting this from CA and I could be wrong). I believe your employer is only required to furnish "adequate lodging and food", and it may only be for one meal per day. I work for a construction company that pays for hotel rooms and some meals for out of town employees, but probably not more than $20-$25 per day for food. You may want to check out the federal/state labor law posters at your office or job site, as it does contain per diem information.

I'm sure one of the other posters will have more information, but I don't think your employer is doing anything shady/illegal here.

Actually, it IS based on where the employee travels TO. A Per Diem is in lieu of the employee paying out of pocket and reporting expenses, and waiting to be reimbursed. However, as I previously stated, it is not generally required that a Per Diem be paid. And even if it is, it does not have to be the maximum allowed by law (before it becomes taxable earnings); it can be less.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.