Thread: final paycheck termination AK

Default final paycheck termination AK

I know that AK is an "at will" state, what I don't know is if that means in addition to terminate somone without cause or warning, if that means that the employee does not get a 2 weeks notice or pay?

WOA, PLEASE do not necro-post. Start your own thread if you have a new question.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Super Moderator

I'll start a new thread for you.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Super Moderator

The employer does not have to give the employee two weeks notice or pay them two weeks pay in lieu of notice if that is what you are asking.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

thanks Betty!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Pattymd View Post
    WOA, PLEASE do not necro-post. Start your own thread if you have a new question.
    i am new to this forum, usually in other places they prefer to keep similar subject together, i was not trying to necro-post (whatever that is) i am still in shock with what happen to my husband and all i was looking for was for some clarification. i really do not deserve to be disrespected, there are more polite ways to talk to people.

necro-posting is posting to dead threads, a couple of months older or more. Plus, even if the thread is relatively current, we prefer you start your own thread with your own question. Hijacking is adding onto someone else's thread with a different issue.

Thanks.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Super Moderator

I might add to my answer above (post #4) - my answer assumes there is no binding employment contract to the contrary. (assumes no contract requiring notice or pay)
    Last edited by Betty3; 05-19-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Super Moderator

Patty is correct that you should always start your own new thread & not add your question to another poster's thread. It can get confusing having two posters asking questions in the same thread.

I understand you're new - you're not the first poster to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty3 View Post
    I might add to my answer above (post #4) - my answer assumes there is no binding employment contract to the contrary. (assumes no contract requiring notice or pay)
    Thanks Betty for understanding. In retrospect I should have read the SOP for this forum but my mind was focusing on getting answers I did not even notice the post dates.

We think his employer is in financial trouble but instead of admitting that they accused my husband of not delivering quality work to their clients , and that their clients had alledgly complaint about it a lot. The thing is he was never told what was the allegde mistake that drove them to fire him and shove him out of the office like yesterday's garbage n front of everyone - besides since Jan he has had only worked with 4 clients and they have all thanked him for his work. Only one complained but it was not about my husband that client complaint about the guy who fired my husband. My husband's position was the highest paid of the non-owners people in the office. We have no idea if we still have medical until the end of the month, or what will happen with the other benefits. We are dumb found because not so long ago the 3 owners were praising my husband they all hang out after hours so how come there was no mention of this so-called complains. Only 1 owner did all the talking the other would not look my husband in the eye and the last one hid in his office closed door and all. This blind-sided us, I am still trying to make sense of all of it, and realizing that we are dead in the water is starting to give me stress migranes.

He has filed for unemployment already, I presume.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattymd View Post
    He has filed for unemployment already, I presume.
    He did last night online. The form asks if he thought he was terminated for the reason he was told - he answer no. I don't know if it was approved.

I don't know where to go from here, if he was in fact terminated with cause we have 30 days to pay back the $4k relocation money. They have not given my husband anything to rebuttle just vague general statements that they did not seem able to back up. I wish there was something we can do. We are now commited to AK and without his payck we may end up homeless soon. The worst part is we trusted his employer, we all broke bread together and hang out... it hurts to see that they would do that to someone like my husband who gave so much time and talent to a company that rather lie than man up...

If he just filed online last night, expect a good 3-4 weeks before the first check, if the employer doesn't protest. This is not an immediate turnaround kind of thing.

Again, have the agreement reviewed by an attorney. "For cause" is a nebulous term to say the least.

Super Moderator

Agree, that's your best bet - to have any agreement/contract your husband might have reviewed by an employment or contract attorney in your area.

Good luck to your husband.