Thread: Maximum Hours Per Day (as police officer) Michigan

Default Maximum Hours Per Day (as police officer) Michigan

Hi,

I am a police officer in the state of Michigan and work 12 hour shifts. We have recently switched to 12's from 8's, and really like them. However, some supervisors are now holding officers over for more then 16 hours per shift, i.e. 18 to 20 hours a shift. The problem is not only the fatigue, it's that officers (on certain days) have to be back the next day to work another 12. So if we work 20 one day, we literally have to be back in uniform and on the road in 4 hours which is almost impossible.

Is there any law or case law for even a lawsuit that addresses this issue? We unfortunately have a few hypocrite supervisors who can careless since it doesn't affect them. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Super Moderator

To the best of my knowledge, and someone is free to correct me if I am wrong, this is a matter of whatever union (or other) contract you may have, not of law.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Agree. I used to manage the payroll operations for a large city and some of our officers and detectives did work 12-hours shifts. There is no daily maximum that I know of.

Having said that, however, if you are union, your union should be going to bat for you on this one, and if they didn't put it in the original contract, shame on them. I agree that double shifts (or more) for people who carry guns as part of their job is very unwise at best.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Thank everyone I appreciate the info.

Super Moderator

Per my reference, Mi. has a law on max. hrs. for firefighters but not police officers.

As the other responders said, if you have a union contract, info re hrs. "should" be in it.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

All the detective novels I read show the detectives working 24/7 until the case is solved. Then they get 8 hours sleep and start all over again. Bet you hate those novels, right?
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

A little off reference, but hopefully you'll all see where I'm headed.

Some states have restrictions on how long an employee can drive...union or not. For instance cab drivers are only allowed to drive a maximum of 20 hours per shift...

You may want to look into something like that with your union representative.
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.