Thread: baby's name Kentucky

Default baby's name Kentucky

A woman has put my boyfriends last name on her babys birth certificate but we are not sure if she put his name as the father. She never told him she was pregnant she just told me but he is willing to take a dna as he claims he isn't the father and has had no contact with her. she started calling our house two weeks before the child was born and we just ignore her, but she filed an order for child support with a lawyer. what do we need to do can she legally do this and can he take a dna and have his last name removed the baby is only two weeks old . any info would be appreciated.

Weigh A Pie...the last county before Canada

Quote Originally Posted by cmatney View Post
    A woman has put my boyfriends last name on her babys birth certificate but we are not sure if she put his name as the father. She never told him she was pregnant she just told me but he is willing to take a dna as he claims he isn't the father and has had no contact with her. she started calling our house two weeks before the child was born and we just ignore her, but she filed an order for child support with a lawyer. what do we need to do can she legally do this and can he take a dna and have his last name removed the baby is only two weeks old . any info would be appreciated.

Assuming your boyfriend isn't married to Mom, his name won't be on the birth certificate until and unless he's legally adjudicated to be Dad. She is free to name her child whatever she wants, however - even if he's not the father, he cannot force her to change the child's name.

So, has boyfriend been served with child support papers yet? Anything?

yes he has been served because it has his last name . It says that he is the father but he did not sign anything and now he sued for child support just because of the its lat name.how can someone just give her child any last name . we have a nine month old and i was told in the hospital that i would not be allowed to place his name on the birth certificate until he signed the affidavit which he did voluntarily, i had to put my name on it. why now is it different, i called the child support ebforcement agency also and they said that most hospitals advise the woman to keep their maiden's name in this situation. i read a similiar post and it said if the woman was intending to fraud the father could maybe petition the court to change the name after dna test. the letter also states that the mother doesn't dna but won't it have to be done or because of his name is he responsible?

Weigh A Pie...the last county before Canada

Quote Originally Posted by cmatney View Post
    yes he has been served because it has his last name . It says that he is the father but he did not sign anything and now he sued for child support just because of the its lat name.how can someone just give her child any last name . we have a nine month old and i was told in the hospital that i would not be allowed to place his name on the birth certificate until he signed the affidavit which he did voluntarily, i had to put my name on it. why now is it different, i called the child support ebforcement agency also and they said that most hospitals advise the woman to keep their maiden's name in this situation. i read a similiar post and it said if the woman was intending to fraud the father could maybe petition the court to change the name after dna test. the letter also states that the mother doesn't dna but won't it have to be done or because of his name is he responsible?

What happened in your situation didn't appear to happen in your boyfriend's ex's situation...in other words, I can call my child Bill Gates XXI, but I cannot add Bill Gates to either the AOP or the birth certificate without Bill actually agreeing. It does NOT mean that Bill Gates is responsible for child support. Same last name means nothing at all. It also doesn't mean that Bill Gates is my child's father.

So, your boyfriend must respond to the petition, denying paternity. The court will then order DNA testing.

Seriously though, it's unlikely that the court will force Mom to change the child's name because the name confers neither rights nor responsibilities.