Thread: Hostile Work Environment Arizona

Default Hostile Work Environment Arizona

My immediate superviosor ("P") has created what I consider to be a hostile work environment for me. It has gotten to the point where I feel uncomfortable, miserable even, at work whenever she is there. Most of it is passive aggressive: cold tones, thinly-veiled anger, snapping at my questions. She makes a point of "correcting" me on anything she can (exaggerating or making most of it up), while she lets slide worse infractions from my co-workers. She does not communicate with me beforehand about many aspects of my work and will only directly acknowledge my presence when absolutely necessary. She makes it much more difficult for me to do my job properly. I find myself worrying way too much about what will cause her wrath to blow up, but I've come to realize that that is pointless, as it seems she is an unhappy person who takes joy in others misery. Her wrath has no sense, as far as I can see.

It wasn't always this way. Before me, there was a different pariah, and "P" and I got along reasonably well. I had noticed her habit of talking ill about other co-workers behind their back, and asked her, in friendly tones, to please talk to me if she had any issue with my preformance. She said that she had no problems with me and any minor issues she did bring up I resolved quickly. That was several months ago, and I have no idea what changed in her mind.

While I have wanted to approach her directly about her negativity, she has made herself increasingly unapproachable. I did have a talk with her supervisor a few weeks ago. He sympathized with me and said he would talk to her. She toned it down for a few days, and then things got worse.

I like my job, yet now I dread going to work. I am not being hypersensitive, I am very capable of doing my job well, and I am not rude to her, I do what she asks of me in the way she asks...I am certain that her attitude is a problem within her, and I cannot do anything to change that.

I am wondering if what I have could legally be a Hostile Work Environment case. Outside of the talk I had with my boss's boss, there is no "evidence" written or recorded, it would all be my word against hers, though I'm sure I could find other co-workers that vouch for me. If I do have the potential for a case, how do I go about pursuing it?

Super Moderator

To prevail on a hostile work environment case, you'd need to be able to demonstrate that you've been singled out for disparate treatment on the basis of a protected characteristic such as your race, gender, age, national origin, etc., not that your boss is unpleasant.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

A legally defined hostile work environment is not one in which people don't like you or treat you poorly at work, it is exactly what Marketeer said...

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-ho...nvironment.htm

http://dictionary.reference.com/brow...rate+treatment

Please take a look at the links above. Also, if you are in a protected class, please let us know and we can advise more appopriately.
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Super Moderator

Everyone is in at least three protected classes. We all have a race, a gender, and a national origin.

It's not enough to be in a protected class since we all are. The disparate treatment must be BECAUSE of the protected class.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Thank you cbg...I often get myself into a rush and answer leaving out important detail. I appreciate the follow up.
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Super Moderator

No problem, Catbert, we all do on occasion!
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

That's why I often say I learn more on this site then I contribute.