Thread: Underage Relationship Kansas

Exclamation Underage Relationship Kansas

My name is Cody and I am originally from New Mexico. I am a 21 yr old talking to an underage girl who is 17. Because of religious beliefs we are not involved in sexual activities. The mother has known about us talking for maybe 2 months.
    But after being persuaded by other members of our church, she has told me not to even speak or be around her daughter.

I know the legal age of conscent is 16 here, so if she can have sex at 16, can't she talk to whoever she wants?

So can I still get in trouble for talking to her if she calls me?

additional info:
    *The mother lost custody of the kids for a year because of abuse.
    *The mother only had custody for a week when this incident happened
    *The father has no custody because he too has abused the 17 yr old, but
    to a further extent.
    *The 17 yr old is now back in state custody

Weigh A Pie...the last county before Canada

Quote Originally Posted by cody44b View Post
    My name is Cody and I am originally from New Mexico. I am a 21 yr old talking to an underage girl who is 17. Because of religious beliefs we are not involved in sexual activities. The mother has known about us talking for maybe 2 months.
    But after being persuaded by other members of our church, she has told me not to even speak or be around her daughter.

I know the legal age of conscent is 16 here, so if she can have sex at 16, can't she talk to whoever she wants?

So can I still get in trouble for talking to her if she calls me?

additional info:
    *The mother lost custody of the kids for a year because of abuse.
    *The mother only had custody for a week when this incident happened
    *The father has no custody because he too has abused the 17 yr old, but
    to a further extent.
    *The 17 yr old is now back in state custody

If Mom says "no contact", then it's no contact. Period. Even if. End of story.

Super Moderator

The legal age of consent, and the legal age of majority, are not the same thing. While the legal age of consent may be 16, the legal age of majority is 18.

The age of consent signifies the age at which the state feels she is old enough to make an informed decision about sex. Having achieved the age of consent, you will not be charged with statutory rape if you have sex with her. (It does not mean that there is nothing you can be charged with; just that stat rape will not be among the charges.)

However, the age of majority is the age at which she is no longer under the care and control of her parents. If she is 17 years, 364 days years old or younger, her parents have 100% control over who she can see, who she can talk to, where she can go, and just about everything else you can think of. Until her 18th birthday, her parents are God.

If they don't want her to see you, and you persist, they can get a restraining order. If you violate it (and even if SHE contacts YOU, YOU will be the one who is considered to have violated it) you can go to jail.

In this case, her parents have said no. Therefore, yes, you can potentially be in serious trouble if you continue to see her.