Thread: Resignation notice

Question Resignation notice

Is a requirement for 30 days notice for resignation enforceable? Almost seems like a commitment to indentured servitude. My son has given 2 weeks notice to his accounting firm employer and they are undicided if they will release him from their 30 day notice requirement.

If there is a true "requirement", then he isn't an "at will" employee. What are the repercussions with less than a 30-day notice? Without a valid employment contract, they can request anything they want to request. Doesn't mean he is bound to it.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Super Moderator

Is this an unwritten co. policy or is this 30 day notice requirement written somewhere? If so, where? Also, as Patty asked, what happens if less than a 30 day notice is given?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

There are no penalties listed in the handbook but he thinks he signed an employment agreement, which he can't find. I told him, over and over, he needs to know what he signed.

My company does not use employment agreements so I am not knowledgable as to what the penalties could be for failure to give 30 days notice. Is the loss of pay or accrued vacation days enforcible? Can you be liable for loss of goodwill with a client?

Super Moderator

The terms for failure to give the 30 days notice would be spelled out in the agreement itself. It could not include loss of pay for time actually worked. Whether or not it could include loss of vacation is dependent on state law (there is a reason we ask for your state).

This is very, very far from indentured servitude, and frankly I find it a little offensive that you've made the comparison. Slaves could not quit. Your son cannot be forced to work a single minute beyond the last day he wants to. He might or might not have to suffer consquences for not adhering to the agreement he signed to give x amount of notice, if indeed he did sign it, but the employer cannot force him to work any longer than he wants to work. The law is not going to round him up and force him to go back to work for the employer. At worst he will have to pay, or relinquish, whatever the agreement HE SIGNED says he will have to pay or relinquish. No one held a gun to his head to sign it.

And if the employer cannot prove that such an agreement existed, then he will not suffer any consequences at all, other than a potential less than stellar reference.