Thread: voluntary quit for health reasons - uc denied - the appeal? Pennsylvania

Default voluntary quit for health reasons - uc denied - the appeal? Pennsylvania

Sept 19th: Removing all post elements as issue is now being appealed to Commonwealth Court
    Last edited by FreedomIsGone; 09-19-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Super Moderator

During the appeal, all you can do is tell the truth - that the job took such a toll on your health that you had to quit.

During the past two months since you quit, have you been looking for other employment? You generally don't get UI unless you are ready, willing & able to work/looking for work.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Sept 19th: Removing all post elements as issue is now being appealed to Commonwealth Court
    Last edited by FreedomIsGone; 09-19-2010 at 02:34 PM.

Super Moderator

Does this link help you any? We have at least one Pa. responder on the forum. Maybe they will come along & have some add'l. info for you.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us:80/por...=552020&mode=2

(Steps to the Appeal Process)
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

One small tip: Don't call strangers "hun." You say she was unfriendly? Calling a stranger by a dismissive, overly-familiar pet name is a sure way to tick her off -- particularly when you're trying to maintain an aura of professionalism.

Its been years since I did an UI in PA but as I recall, each person must testify. You cant bring a notarized statement from someone about their testimony.

Actually, notarizing a statement doesnt say anything to the facts of the matter. As a notary, I am showing that I have identified the person and that is the same person who signed the document.
    The document could say that the sky is green and pigs fly but all I'm doing is notarizing that the person who is identifed as John Smith is the same person who signed that document.
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
    Thomas Jefferson

Pigs don't fly? Dayum.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Default Pigs can fly...

Quote Originally Posted by Pattymd View Post
    Pigs don't fly? Dayum.
    If you put enough of a charge under 'em, some of our feral hogs can soar a fur piece.

Patty, you've been away too long, and I fear the exposure to the cold has had adverse effects on you.

Happy April Fool's Day, all!!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Texas709 View Post
    Happy April Fool's Day, all!!
    Right back to you!

Super Moderator

Not in my state, they're not. In my state having a statement notarized means no more or less than Morgana indicated; it relates to the identity of the signatories and has no affect whatsoever as to the legality, truth or enforceability of the document signed. That is the case in most states. IF (and that's a big if) PA is different, they are the exception rather than the rule and I would not rely on your statement being true until I saw something official from the state backing it up.

I'm not surprised they wouldnt psotpone due to the jury duty. We tried to postpone a UI hearing because the terminating supervisor's husband was having surgery that day. They said she wasnt needed for the surgery so they wouldnt postpone. We did a telephonic hearing from the lobby of the hospital.
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
    Thomas Jefferson

FMLA, if the condition warranted, would at least have given you 12 weeks of (although unpaid) leave at which time you could have been looking for another job. I don't mean to smack you while you're already down, but telling the hearing officer it was "useless" to file was not a good move.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Default Update: Appealing to Commonwealth Court

I would not personally take the advice of anyone on the phone. You should go to the office and get hardcopies of any and all policies and procedures.

Beyond that, I always say appeal, and appeal the appeal. Good luck.
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Also, as I skimmed over your posts I don't see where you have addressed anyone here (possibly I missed it) regarding actively seeking alternate employment. Are you still in search of new work?
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Last edited by FreedomIsGone; 09-19-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomIsGone View Post
    I don't use LLT forums for employment, and I actively (daily) apply to positions on DICE, Craigslist, Career Builder and Monster. I have only been called for 1 interview and before I could even interview I was called and told the position was filled.
    Thanks for the update...by no means did I mean to insinuate (sp?) that you should use LLT for employment, that is by no means the purpose of this board.

Just a friendly piece of advice from someone who does hiring to someone seeking employment. I post positions on many of the sites you mentioned and have to say I get hundreds of email resumes. Typically I get so many that I will only post the job listing for 8 to 12 hours. Then I remove the post and go through the resumes. If the resume doesn't stand out, and I mean really grab me, I move on quickly. I am quick and harsh on applicants resumes, I spend only a few seconds on each until I find the one that grabs me.

That is just my .02 cents as a friendly gesture. I hope it helps.

Final Update:

The UCBR decision was affirmed by the Commonwealth Court.

To sum it up, my argument was valid but the paper trail was not long enough. I did not create dozens of emails or create a paper-log of my discussions with my supervisor, so it was denied under those pretenses. A word to those who view this - get a lawyer for your UC hearing if you want a shot at winning.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the up-date - sorry to hear that.