Thread: Can I be fired for being Pregnant? Florida

Default Can I be fired for being Pregnant? Florida

I work for a small business in Florida, which happens to be a law firm. I have done some research and it seems that I have no protections at the federal, state or county level about being fired for being pregnant. I am not even eligible for FMLA benefits. The make up of my office is myself and another secretary and two attorneys who are also officiers of the corporation. I have worked for this firm for almost 6 years and have no disciplinary history. I know they will not be thrilled upon learning of my pregnancy. I anticipate they will come up with some ridiculous reason for firing me-although it reality it will be because I am pregnant. What are my rights in this situation? Any help would be great!

Super Moderator

It seems, for the small # of employees your employer has, you have no pregnancy job protection.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Unfortunately if you are fired...that's that.
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Super Moderator

If you are terminated, you can file for unemployment ins. as long as you are still able to work. You have to be ready, willing & able to work/looking for work.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.