Thread: Summons to court after 15 years for a judgement. Indiana

Default Summons to court after 15 years for a judgement. Indiana

I was wondering what my rights were for a judgement thats over 15 years can this still be pursued? It is for a lease that I broke and I am not sure how to handle this situation. Is there anything I need to do to prepare for this hearing?

Super Moderator

The SOL on a judgment in In. is 10 years & can be renewable for another 10 years for a total of 20 years. If it's been renewed, they can still come after your non-exempt assets/income.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Consult an attorney.
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Super Moderator

& just be sure you show up for the hearing.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Talking

Wow thanks guys! I did consult an attorney and we went to court today...boy is he the business!!!
    He also said the same as Betty 3 they have 10 years to collect and also have the option to renew it but it must be done with in the 10 years and they haven't so YEA for me and THANKS to you both!!!

Super Moderator

You're welcome - I'm glad things worked out for you. Yep, they had to renew it before the first 10 years was up.