Thread: Two weeks since background check.....Have not heard anything yet! Arizona

Default Two weeks since background check.....Have not heard anything yet! Arizona

I got a job.....Went through the drug screening no problem and now Im just waiting for the background check. The employer told me it was 4-5 days. I know that my record is squeaky clean. Now it's up to two weeks no word yet and im getting very impatient. I have called the employer and have talked to the store manager and he keeps telling me that they are still waiting. Im starting to think that he is just giving me the run around and really doesn't want me to work there. I have the number to the corporate HR director. Do you think I should call her or just continue to wait? I could be seeking other opportunities at this rate and that is why im so angry. Two weeks for a background check is totally rediculous in my opinion. I could have what they want online in twenty minutes. Thanks for listening to me vent!

If you're getting calls for interviews, take them. If you've stopped searching, start again. It's not a job until you start work.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Should I call corporate HR to see if it has been completed just to see if they are giving me the run around or just keep waiting?

Hang on for further responses. Doing background checks is not part of my job, so I really don't know how long they might reasonably take.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Calling corporate HR isn't likely to get you anywhere- at least no where you want to be. While certain searches can be done fairly quickly, it depends what the company means by "background check" and whether or not they use an outside vendor. Could be that vendor is backed up. If the background check includes reference checking and employment and education verification, that can take some time.

Patty is right though, keep up the job search until you have the job. For all you know they will find something in that background check that makes them remove you from consideration.

One would only hope though that they would say thanks but no thanks....My record is squeaky clean except maybe a speeding ticket. I would hope they would at least call me and tell me either way.

Do you think I should call her or just continue to wait? Frustrating though it is, you need to continue to wait. You've already spoken with the store manager and chances are he or she has contacted corporate HR to inquire about the status of your background check; I expect he's anxious to have you start. You don't want to make a pest of yourself before you've even started

In the meantime, nothing's stopping you from continuing to pursue other opportunities. You've got nothing to lose by doing so.

Personally, I often make applicants wait on things. I like to see how they deal with inconveniences. If you choose to call, be polite, respectful and kind.

Calling will show them that you are still interested in the position.

And yes, I know making people wait makes me a bit of a jerk, however I like to see how people react. Patient people typically get the job and impatient people who call me and cuss me out, don't. Just remember to be nice, and non-pushy.
    Last edited by CatBert; 03-09-2010 at 10:57 AM.
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Quote Originally Posted by CatBert View Post
    Personally, I often make applicants wait on things. I like to see how they deal with inconveniences. If you choose to call, be polite, respectful and kind.
    :: passing this tidbit to all my friends interviewing for jobs ::

Great insider info, CatBert! Thanks!
    Don't feed the trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by CatBert View Post

Calling will show them that you are still interested in the position.

And yes, I know making people wait makes me a bit of a jerk, however I like to see how people react. Patient people typically get the job and impatient people who call me and cuss me out, don't. Just remember to be nice, and non-pushy.

MEANIE!!!!!!!!!!

I have a little different view, having been in the job market way too often in the last few years. If you're going to take the time to interview me, be courteous enough to at least let me know I didn't get the job.

I'll throw my 2 cents worth in on this also. It is fine to call to ask about the status as long as you are very polite AND don't call too often. Your calls should give nothing of the flavor of, "It's been two weeks and I haven't heard from you. What are you people doing?" Who you call (the hiring manager, HR or both) should depend on the previous conversations that you have had with each.

As Patty said, you should not stop looking for another job, just because you think you have found one. There is no guaranty that it will come through. Many things can happen. And, if you look around this site, and other places, you can see plenty of situations in which people took jobs and found they were not what they expected. A couple of fresh contacts in hand is never a bad thing when starting a new job.

And, regarding my friend Catbert's technique of delaying on purpose to see how people will react, that is something I personally have never done. Once I decided I wanted a particular applicant, I saw myself in a sales position to motivate that person and bring them into the fold. There have been times when I had to give cryptic answers for delays, but almost all of the time when I was hiring, getting people on board to fill open requisitions as rapidly as possible was a high priority.
    Please post questions on the forum rather than sending me a private message or email. That way others who have similar issues have access to the discussion.

Another perspective...we are hiring but we arent in a hurry to fill the couple of positions we have open. The longer we wait, the less hit to the budget. So, while we are going thru the process, we arent in a rush and that means that what could happen in 5 business days, we let go longer.

From an applicant's point of view...very frustrating. However, by streching things out, maybe you (as the newest hire) wont be terminated in 6 months when money is even tighter.
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
    Thomas Jefferson

Personally, I would call and be very respectful..."hi, my name is kings02 and I am very eager to start work. I understand the background check is still not complete. Is there anything I can do or provide that would help expedite the process?"

2 weeks is way too long for a routine background check. My company has less than a 24 hour turnaround on average. If I am waiting 2 weeks the background check is very bad (generally the longer it takes, the more bad stuff is on it) or there is a holdup on the court system, or it involves Virginia, or there is another odd explanation. Calling and being polite about it reminds them that you are waiting and they need to get back with you. If someone called me about their background check, I would definitely speak with them and try to assist them.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by HR/DisMgr View Post
    If I am waiting 2 weeks involves Virginia, or there is another odd explanation.
    Um, you don't like Virginia?

Virginia hasn't caught up to technology. They only respond to paper requests and take 4-6 weeks to do so. We aren't in VA but some of my employees lived there so occasionally we have to pull a VA background. (Oh, and they charge more too! The nerve!)

Super Moderator

Times sure have changed - I only went on one job interview, got the job & stayed with co. until I retired.

Anyway, I had my interview & took a couple of tests all in one day & was offered the job the same day.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

As we border VA we get a lot of applicants from there and I have to agree, they take forever. I could get verifications from out of country faster than from VA and I could walk to the border.

I don't see anything to gain from making someone purposely wait. For one, I have never had the kind of time to play games like that. I'd just as soon get that one off my plate and move on to the next thing.

When I worked at a manufacturing company and scheduled interviews for certain service tech positions, we would often schedule early morning or non-stop flights as these employees were essentially on-call and could be sent anywhere in the US on a moments notice and rarely was it during normal business hours. The company found that those who complained about the times or layovers or tried to reschedule the flights never lasted long in the position. That is about as devious as I got when it came to recruiting.

Just to reassure everyone. Each time I have called I have been very polite and calm and have offered in any way that I can to help expedite the process.

I did call the corporate head of HR. Again being very polite. She informed me that she per say did not do the background checks and that they use a third party. She took my name and ssn and told me that she would call the person that handles the background checks and would tell her to expedite the process and that my hopefully soon to be employer wouldn't even know that I called.

BTW this is for a part-time gig. I already have a full-time job elsewhere. I am just anxious to get the extra coin rolling in and to gain extra knowledge in my field for future use on a resume. Im sure everyone can understand that especially in these economic times.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattymd View Post
    MEANIE!!!!!!!!!! .
    I know it makes me seem mean, but I like to know who the real applicant is. Do they want the job? If yes, they'll call me. Are they going to throw a temper tantrum if I don't see them exactly when I scheduled their interview?

People all too often put on a happy face in a job interview and are a train wreck in real life. I am most likely one of the most eccentric interviewers in the world, but the people I hire stick.
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Gee, Catbert. I'm thinking we wouldn't have done well together in the workplace. Those are all characteristics that you should be able to identify without inconveniencing everyone you interview. Had I caught any of my hiring managers taking that kind of approach, I would have removed their authority to interview and hire.

At best what you did was identify and hire the people who would put up with your idiosyncracies. That's great if you want people who kiss up to you. Not great if you want people who are the best to get the job done.
    Please post questions on the forum rather than sending me a private message or email. That way others who have similar issues have access to the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott67 View Post
    Gee, Catbert. I'm thinking we wouldn't have done well together in the workplace. Those are all characteristics that you should be able to identify without inconveniencing everyone you interview. Had I caught any of my hiring managers taking that kind of approach, I would have removed their authority to interview and hire.

At best what you did was identify and hire the people who would put up with your idiosyncracies. That's great if you want people who kiss up to you. Not great if you want people who are the best to get the job done.
    First let me say, thank goodness we live in America where we are all able to choose the things we do and say, no matter how right or wrong.

Secondly, to assume I seek employees who kiss up to me is foolish, if anything I encourage the people who work for me to challenge the norm...especially when it comes from me.

I use a third party vendor to do background checks. Most are done within the 7 states my sites are in. However if the applicant lived in another state within the past 3 years I would check there also.

TX background checks are almost instantaneous. MA checks take a couple of weeks even for a clean background check. IL requires a second form (other than our standard form) which must be sent to the third party vendor.

I tell my managers when I run the test and then I don't contact them again until it is completed.

However, we do allow new hires to start before we receive the results. Our offer letters state the position is contingent on several things, including the background check. If it comes back with a bad result then the employee is termed for failure to meet hiring criteria (or lying depending on what was indicated on the application).

OP, I would suggest when you speak to the store manager, ask when would be a good time to check in again. So you are indicating you are still interested but don't want to be a pest.

I have to go with Scott here. Sometimes delays are unavoidable but purposely being late for interviews just makes you and the company appear disorganized. It is disrespectful as those interviewees may very well have obligations that day aside from your interview. If you need them to be flexible once hired, make that clear in the interview.

Remember they are interviewing you as much as you are interviewing them. As Scott pointed out, you are at best getting those who are willing to overlook these things but I wonder too how many good people are put off by them.

I have to agree with Scott and Elle here. Having applicants purposely wait for you to interview them shows an obvious lack of respect for them, a lack of professionalism on your part and projects an arrogance on both the company and you.
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Super Moderator

I think it's time we got back on track. Does anyone have any further information for the OP?