Thread: What is law re: citizen vs green card hiring? Minnesota

Default What is law re: citizen vs green card hiring? Minnesota

I am a US citizen wanting to supplement my social security. I am not particular as to the job, especially in this market so I applied to places like Walmart etc for menial jobs that I see obvious green card holders doing such as clerk or greeter, things I am way qualified to do.

I see new green card carrying employees being hired yet I am not even being contacted even though I passed all the tests.

I remember in previous years, employers were prohibited from hiring someone with a green card over a citizen unless there were certain demanding abilities that prevented any citizens from qualifying. Since my English is far better than theirs I cannot understand why I am being overlooked for someone who is not a citizen with less skills than I possess.

Have things changed over the years where an employer can hire green card immigrants over equally qualified citizens? If yes, what's this world coming to?

thanks

Super Moderator

A green card holder has the same rights as any other individual living in the US. To the best of my knowledge this has always been the case. There are limited exceptions (say, where a security clearance is required) but for the most part a green card holder has full rights to employment.

There are some situations where a US citizen has superior employment rights over the holder of certain visas, such as an H1 visa, but that is not the case for green card holders.

How do you know that the people they are hiring have green cards?
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Dodd View Post
    How do you know that the people they are hiring have green cards?
    Which are actually pink, btw.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

"Green card holders" are legal residents in the U.S. and hiring native-born citizens OVER such legal resident aliens could be considered illegal discrimination, i.e., discrimination based on national origin.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Oh no! Then what color are pink slips?
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Super Moderator

Are green thumbs really green? Ok, that's enough.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.