Thread: minor adulting lesbian dating... Virginia Washington

Default minor adulting lesbian dating... Virginia Washington

I live in virginia and I am 19 years old girl and I am dating a 16 year old girl. Her mom knows about us dating. What's the law about two lesbians dating and one is a minor though we both starting dating one another when she was 14 years old and I was 17 years old? And what's the law about us living together with her mom?

Super Moderator

There is no law specific to lesbian dating. There are no laws regarding dating at all.

Regardless of sexual orientation, a minor can date anyone her parents give her permission to date, and cannot date anyone her parents do not give her permission to date. Period. That's it.

There are likewise no laws regarding the two of you living with her mother. If the mother permits you to move in you may. If she does not give you permission, you may not.

Now, if you're talking about having sex with a minor, that's a different story and depends on which of the two states you have listed, you actually mean. However, in all 50 states, even if the state has given permission for a minor to have sex, the parent can prohibit it and the prohibition will stand up. Over the age of consent or under it, you can bet the rent that no state is going to tell a parent that they must allow their minor child to have a sexual relationship if they do not want her to, and if they want to keep their minor child away from the person who suggests a sexual relationship (regardless of whether that person is male or female) the parent is going to win 100% of the time.

These answers would be exactly the same if we were talking about a heterosexual relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by cbg View Post
    There is no law specific to lesbian dating. There are no laws regarding dating at all.

Regardless of sexual orientation, a minor can date anyone her parents give her permission to date, and cannot date anyone her parents do not give her permission to date. Period. That's it.

There are likewise no laws regarding the two of you living with her mother. If the mother permits you to move in you may. If she does not give you permission, you may not.

Now, if you're talking about having sex with a minor, that's a different story and depends on which of the two states you have listed, you actually mean. However, in all 50 states, even if the state has given permission for a minor to have sex, the parent can prohibit it and the prohibition will stand up. Over the age of consent or under it, you can bet the rent that no state is going to tell a parent that they must allow their minor child to have a sexual relationship if they do not want her to, and if they want to keep their minor child away from the person who suggests a sexual relationship (regardless of whether that person is male or female) the parent is going to win 100% of the time.

These answers would be exactly the same if we were talking about a heterosexual relationship.
    Well I don't think virginia allows sex with minors...

Super Moderator

You're absolutely right; it doesn't. The age of consent in Virginia is 18 (not the case in Washington). Since she is 16 and you are over 18, it would be a class 1 misdemeanor.

The law doesn't care what gender you are; it's still against the law.

You're absolutely right; it doesn't. The age of consent in Virginia is 18 (not the case in Washington). Since she is 16 and you are over 18, it would be a class 1 misdemeanor.

The law doesn't care what gender you are; it's still against the law.
    My girlfriends mom she told her councellor that she is letting her daughters girlfriend to come live with them and the councellor told her I couldn't move in with them or she could get introuble... does the councellor have the right to say that if there is no sex???

The counselor is a mandated reporter - that means she is REQUIRED to report to authorities if she has reason to suspect that your friend is having sex with an adult. She would face large fines and further career-ending consequences if she does not report. Yes, you moving into the house is more than enough reason for her to suspect that illegal sexual activity is taking place.

Quote Originally Posted by CarynG View Post
    The counselor is a mandated reporter - that means she is REQUIRED to report to authorities if she has reason to suspect that your friend is having sex with an adult. She would face large fines and further career-ending consequences if she does not report. Yes, you moving into the house is more than enough reason for her to suspect that illegal sexual activity is taking place.
    So then its okay for the councellor to automatically think that I am going to have sex with her? That's crazy I know I can handle not having sexual intercourse with her...

Super Moderator

Yes, it is okay for the counselor to think that. You may "know" that you can handle not having sex with her - the counselor has past experience to say that the odds of your being wrong about what you can handle are pretty good. She would not be doing her job if she did not make that assumption and report it.

It is not only okay for her to make that assumption, but it is the ONLY assumption she can make. If she reports it and you didn't actually have sex, she still did her job and nothing bad will happen to her. If she doesn't report it and you DO have sex and it becomes known and there is legal trouble about that, she cannot defend her decision to not report it. She wouldn't have a leg to stand on. You are putting her in an awkward position. She would be an idiot to do anything besides report it.

Does it matter what kind of councellor she is? Does she report to the police that people she councelles are doing drugs? She is a drug councellor....

Super Moderator

It doesn't matter what kind of counselor she is, no.

ARE you doing drugs?

It doesn't matter what kind of counselor she is, no.

ARE you doing drugs?

No I don't my girlfriends mom did. She got caught stealing things to get it and now she is going to a womens group that the courts required her to do. She doesn't do drugs anymore she has been clean for a year and two months

Super Moderator

Then there's nothing for the counselor to report, right?

Except you living under the same roof with your minor, underage, unable to consent to sex girlfriend.

Except you living under the same roof with your minor, underage, unable to consent to sex girlfriend.
    Yeah but I guess her mom is freaking out about it cause the councellor keeps asking if I am still going to live with them or not. So now I have to find a new place to go to at the end of this month cause of that councellor...

Yeah but I guess the councellor is really scaring her about it cause I can't live with them I have to find a new place to move to at the end of this month now. Cause that councellor told her mom that...

Super Moderator

Gee, what a shame. You have to pull up your big girl panties and support yourself like an adult. All because of that mean nasty couselor who's more concerned with doing her job and with the safety of a minor than with your having a free place to live.