Thread: Am I eligble for unemployment if I decline move with the company New Jersey

Default Am I eligble for unemployment if I decline move with the company New Jersey

My company is moving my current job to another building about 20 miles away. My commute is already 40 minutes with no traffic, but based on the move, my new hours and other changes that took place. If I were to commute the mileage from my house to the new location is about 46 miles, but the travel time would be about 1.25-1.5 hours which is to far for what I make with that company. If I decline to go based on the distance, would I still be able to collect unemployment until I find a new job? Would they deny my unemployment b/c I resigned? I can not find a clear law on distance or anything related to my issue. Its seems like a common occurence so would would be good legal advice on this matter. I want to be employed but I can not do the commute for what I currently make b/c even with my current pay and commute which is not enough to support my current expenses b/c I already took a 70% paycut. The paycut was due to the new company not paying us commissions like we used to get which I understand I have no recourse on but the mileage plus the paycut makes this job cost me money to even come in.

Thanks in advance

We would have no idea. There is no bright line in the law. Another 20 miles in your geographic area probably isn't that much. The problem is that the commission won't give you a definitive answer if you call and ask the question, and you wouldn't know for sure if you refused the relocation and filed. They look at the circumstances of each case individually.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Thats my concern... What is deemed reasonable.. To me its not b/c at my current rate of pay:

40 minute commute with no traffic
    70% less pay due to commissions being practically eliminated

add 20 miles to that commute plus a different schedule which would put me right dead smack in rush hour pushing my commute to up to 1.5 hours each way.

As I stated before my pay now is barely enough to skate by and I have been actively looking to just leave to avoid all this. My guess is I will be in this situation in the next month or 2.

I understand that it can always be appealed but I think I heard of some law/ruling/ or something that was up to 50 miles from your residence. But I could never find anything set in stone. If I call or speak to someone at unemployment, how can I be sure its not just their opinion, or am I at the mercy of whoever I have to deal with.

That's the thing. There is no such "law", so there is nothing to find. And again, if you call and ask, you MAY get an opinion, but the department doesn't have to agree with that particular person (nor any other). There's just no way anyone here can tell you.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Talking

Thanks for all your input, there are many other people in my situation. Its reality and its a gamble. But thanks again for taking the time, I appreciate it!

It is, and I'm sorry I couldn't give you the answer you wanted to hear. This economy stinks.