Thread: Can I cancel my current unemployment claim than open a new one soon after? California

Default Can I cancel my current unemployment claim than open a new one soon after? California

My current unemployment claim that I opened in December doesn't count most of the time that I worked. If had waited to open it in January I would be getting about 5 times as much.

Can I cancel my current claim (I haven't been claiming since it's so little) and open a new one so it is based on the period I worked more?

Probably not, although this might be specific by state. I had the exact same situation a while back and Pennsylvania (to which I had moved) told me I could not cancel my Maryland claim (which had been open less than a year) and file a new claim in PA. I had to wait the full year.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Just so happens that I have "A Guide to Benefits and Employment Services" sitting on my desk. Handy.

Cancelling a claim
    You have an option of canceling a regular California UI claim up to and including 30 days after the mailing or issuance date of the Notice of Unemployment Insurance Award, if no benefits have been cashed, and no disqualification has been issued in writing. If a claim is canceled, that claim cannot be reported, but you can file a new claim with a later date. If the original claim is not cancelled, another California claim cannot be filed for 52 weeks. If you have questions regarding claim cancellation or want to cancel your claim, contact EDD.

Important: Once a claim has been canceled, it cannot be reestablished with the same beginning date.
    Sound like you have no recourse, according to the guide. If you ever do have to file again (I hope you never need to again), be sure to check the Base Period that you're applying in.

Give EDD a call, just to be sure. Getting through on the phone is UTTERLY frustrating, I know, but its something to do with your day. :\

Of course, this original post was over 9 months ago so, although the information theaetetus added is good information, I'm sure the OP has resolved the issue by now.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

D'oh! Found this thread with the panel at the bottom. Thought it said "Recent Threads", but alas it's "Similar Threads".

My apologies for the raising the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Theaetetus View Post
    D'oh! Found this thread with the panel at the bottom. Thought it said "Recent Threads", but alas it's "Similar Threads".

My apologies for the raising the dead.

Apology accepted.