Thread: Exempt employee Virginia

Default Exempt employee Virginia

I need some VA experts on this one. I have an employee who is not an exempt salary employee because he does not fall under the required requirements, therefore, continues to be paid per hour. Can you be considered an exept non salary employee in this case? if so, where can i find the statue for this term.

Yes, you can, but what are you trying to accomplish by doing so?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Default jvv

Hi Pattymd

Thanks for the reply....this employee is trying to get certification through the HRIC and one of their requiremts is to have been an exempt level employee for at least two years. I guess i am trying to find out if this employee is elibigle any other way around, since he is not labeled as "exempt" on our books. what are your thoughts?

Calling him "salaried" isn't going to do it, then, if he doesn't meet any of the criteria. The only exempt classifications that don't require a guaranteed salary are Outside Sales and some professional positions under specific circumstances. "Salaried" is merely a pay method.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Super Moderator

If he's not an exempt level employee, he's not eligible for HRIC certification. I don't think they waive that requirement, although he's certainly free to ask.

BTW, they used to require 8 years exempt level experience, at least for the SPHR.

Quote Originally Posted by cbg View Post
    BTW, they used to require 8 years exempt level experience, at least for the SPHR.
    Wow, CPP is only 5 years.

Default jvv

i know ,SHRM only requirements are 2 yrs as exempt for now, their requirements are changing for 2011, they are requiring 4yrs as an exempt level for the PHR certification. Where can i find the qualifications for an exempt employee?