Thread: Return of retainer California

Question Return of retainer California

I am unhappy with the law firm I hired and have discharged them. I was told it would take up to three weeks to return the unused portion of my 10k retainer. My contract only says I can discharge the firm at any time, is there anything I need to submit in writing? There is no information about how I will recieve the blance of the retainer or what paperwork I am entitled to. Can anyone help me not get ripped off?
    Last edited by jrunestrand; 11-02-2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: mis spelled words

Quote Originally Posted by jrunestrand View Post
    I am unhappy with the law firm I hired and have discharged them. I was told it would take up to three weeks to return the unused portion of my 10k retainer. My contract only says I can discharge the firm at any time, is there anything I need to submit in writing? There is no information about how I will recieve the blance of the retainer or what paperwork I am entitled to. Can anyone help me not get ripped off?
    You should send a simple letter saying that you no longer want the Attorney working on the file, requesting a copy of the file, requesting a letter telling you of any pending hearings, an accounting of the bill, and return of the remainder. The attorney will want you to sign a formal substitution of Attorney which he can file with the court. Assume that the attorney won't return any money until he has the actual signed Substitution in his hands.

Attorneys are notoriously slow in this regard (including me.) One of the reasons, is that Lawyers save billing to the end of the month so they don't necessarily know what the bill is until then. Then the check has to be cut, and sits on someones desk for awhile it actually gets sent out.