Thread: length of unemployment payments in TX? Texas

Question length of unemployment payments in TX? Texas

Hi,

I just found out that I'll be laid off at the end of the month and I'm considering my options. If I apply for unemployment, collect it for a month, then leave the country for three months - would I still be eligible for unemployment when I return to look for work? I don't intend to try to collect while I'm out of Texas. Do you have a period of a year to collect your maximum benefit?

Thanks to anyone that can try to answer this - I've looked here and other places on the internet and can't find an answer. I'm sure I'll get more details once I actually apply for unemployment, but I'm trying to decide between this plan plus my small severance or a demotion/pay cut with the same company.

Thanks again...

If you refuse a demotion/pay cut, you may not qualify for UI at all.

In most states, claims are open for one year. I'm not sure if Texas was one of the states where the UI extension applied. Give them a call.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Thanks!

I think I will be eligible for unemployment as the jobs they're offering to each person they're laying off have a completely different job task? (as in the director of Communications - they're offering to let her work in customer service for half of her current salary). I'm in communications too - just not paid quite as much.

HR has mentioned that taking the severance pay option would not mean we can't get unemployment. They seem to be straightforward at this point - hopefully they won't try have my claim denied because of refusing the customer service job.

I'll call about the time limit - though I did finally find something on the TX website that mentioned a year.

Half might do it. Problem is, the TWC isn't going to give any caller a bright line (even if there is one, which I doubt) which says 49% meets the criteria, 50% doesn't.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/bnfts/eucqa.pdf

I couldn't tell in a brief search whether receipt of severance pay will delay your benefits starting nor not, but there might be something here.
    http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/bnfts/....html#benefits
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.