Thread: Transfer FL Unemployment benefits to another state? Florida

Default Transfer FL Unemployment benefits to another state? Florida

If one were collecting UC in FL, can they move to another state to seek work and continue collecting FL benefits or would they refile in the new state or would they lose benefits altogether?

Thank you for any help.

Generally speaking, the state in which the original claim was filed would stay open for at least one year and you could continue to collect benefitsn from the original state.

How long have you been collecting from Florida?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattymd View Post
    Generally speaking, the state in which the original claim was filed would stay open for at least one year and you could continue to collect benefitsn from the original state.

How long have you been collecting from Florida?
    Hi Patty, thank you for your response. It's my husband who's collecting. He started collecting in late July and the benefits notice states he can collect for a year.

The move shouldn't change anything. As a personal anecdote, I moved from MD to PA last summer, worked for a while, then got laid off. I had to file in MD because all my wages in the benefit lookback period were in MD, and that claim is still available to be reopened should I need it again for at least one year.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Default Unemployment and Moving

I'm a bit confused by the answer that it is ok to continue collecting unemployment from the original claim state after moving. I was told specifically that after moving I should transfer my claim to the new state, and it would be based on my original state's wages, but would be subject to the new state's rules. Oh, my aching head! LOL

I also have a confusing issue between 1099 income in the same year as unemployment and how on earth is that to be reported, or not? I spoke to Pennsylvania to reopen a claim to be eligible for the new 13 weeks of emergency unemployment. Here is the gist of it all:

1. They showed income from Pennsylvania and Maryland (he said). I have never worked in Maryland but I got a 1099 payment from a Maryland company for software work in 2007, after my unemployment benefits ran out.

2. I was found to be financially eligible based on that statement, but now I'm worried about any possibility of being deemed "self-employed' based on a single 1099 payment when I was taking any work I could get.

Like I said, oh, my aching head. I don't understand the concept and why it may be an issue to be "self-employed" and employed on W-2 at the same time. Which is the driving issue when judging eligibility for benefits?

Cheryl, you really should have started your own thread, not hijacked someone elses'. However, since I've alreaady spent all this time typing the response, I'm going to post it anyway. All I can give you is my personal experience.

I moved from MD to PA last summer. Took a temp-to-hire job that didn't become "hire". Filed for UI in PA in Nov/2007. The benefit lookback-period was July 2006-June 2007. Since I had no wages in that period in PA, I had to file in MD, even though I didn't live there any more. Repeat the process, filing in April 2008, had to reopen the claim in MD, since a claim stays open for a year and you cannot have an open claim in more than one state at a time.

SE Income is generally not part of the income that is looked at to determine financial eligibility. That's because UI taxes are not paid on SE income, nor are the wages reported to the state as UI subject wages.

I don't know who's telling you this, but just telling you what I was told. At this point, you may just have to show up in person at the UI office where you live now and wait to speak with somebody.

Default Hijacked Question

I have posted my specific question on it's own thread. I responded here with my real experiences with actually moving from one state to another when your answer to original poster was confusing to me, based on my real experiences.

The answer was indeed that you have to notify the state where you draw unemployment when you move, and you are usually told to refile in the new state and your claim will be based on their rules and local economic conditions. Some people choose not to, and it catches up later. It is also true that it is based on your original state's wages. This is based on my own personal experiences.

When I moved to Florida, Pennsylvania advised me to state on my Florida application that I moved in order to look for work. That was quite awhile ago, but with this bout of unemployment I checked again because I may want to move to look for work.

Back to the hijacking comment. Unemployment has some very obscure rules and very strict rules--if you don't state your situation correctly you will lose benefits that you really should be entitled to. Sometimes folks have to visit a lot of different sites to see potentially helpful answers. In hard economic times like these, information is key. I noticed that the more professional folks who post answers are careful to word their answer so the person asking the question can properly communicate with their local unemployment offices, because nobody who posts here can make the ultimate decision anyway.

When I call the unemployment office I consistently get different answers depending upon who I call. Sometimes like the no help whatsoever desk of Ratbert fame. So thanks for clarifying that your answer was merely your personal experience. I hope that someone who has more administrative knowledge will also post an answer to help others.

Super Moderator

None of the regular responders here work for the UI commission of any state. So if you are looking for a "from the source" response that's not going to happen on this board. The only answers you're going to get on a message boards are answers from people's personal experiences.

Default none

Yes, You would reopen your claim from maryland. I worked in new york and moved to cali. I got unemployment from new york while residing in cali. as long as your claim end date has not expired you can reopen the maryland claim till it ends.

In the 'olden days', clamis were transfered from state to state to make things 'easier' for the applicant...you had to actually appear at the UI office to file the claim. Sometimes even provide the list of ER's you had made application for work with. Including a signature of the interviewer.

The state administering the benefits were 'billing' the state holding liability for the benefits. This had nothing to do with the economic conditions, or the amount in benefits you are entitled to... the amount of benefits is only based on your qualifying wage, and the premiums paid by your ER.
    California EDD isn't going to offer an increase in benefits where another state is paying less.
    but would be subject to the new state's rules.
    Only for filing requirements...weekly reporting to certify your eligibility.

With the advent of the internet... none of this is relevant any more.
    Doubt anyone can remember those 'olden days'...
    Back to the hijacking comment. Unemployment has some very obscure rules and very strict rules
    That is very true. However where the op has provided their history, anothers' issues could overlap and be confusing to both.

BTW... unfortunately this forum doesn't provide a seperate board for 'Unemployment' issues...(though ''Employment and Labor Law'' would be good) and 'Workers Compensation Laws', are generally pertinent to 'industrial work place injuries/illness'...

Super Moderator

Any particular reason we reopened a six month old thread? The situation is likely resolved by now.