Thread: Hostile Work environment Pennsylvania

Angry Hostile Work environment Pennsylvania

I'm sure that this doesn't fall under discrimination, however, I didn't know which category it fell under....so....Can someone PLEASE tell me what is considered a hostile work environment

Last edited by Eng&SafetyMGR; 09-17-2008 at 11:53 AM.
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Is what a hostile environment? If this refers to your last post it falls under the category of "possibly unfair but legal". Essentially the conduct would need to be on the basis of some legally protected characteristic. Treating those of one race differently for example would be illegal. You can find most of the legally protected characteristics explained here www.eeoc.gov

Default hostile work environment

Ok, let me tell you whats been going on then YOU tell me what my next step should be. I've worked at (deleted) since Feb 2007. I've always loved my job and the people that we deal with. In Dec 2007, I was injured at work. I missed a week of work because of my injury, but returned to work w/restrictions and it has never held me back from doing my job. In June I had surgery for my injury. I was out of work for 2 months and returned on Aug. 25th. The first 3 weeks that I was back to work, my hours were cut by at least 10 hrs...in some cases more than 10 hours..after a complaint to HR my hours are now back to where they were. 2 weeks ago, I saw our manager allowing a head clerk to shop in our store....which is against our policies...I reported her....since that time my life has been pure hell. We now have a "time out" table...(to sort clothes at)guess who always gets the "time out" table....the time out table is removed from everyone else. Any day that I request off is declined....no one else's is. In fact, if someone calls off, she changes the schedule to make it look like they were off. (I've seen her do it.) I'm ignored the entire day by her....which does have its benefits, I guess. I get screamed at if I get up to go to the bathroom, but another employee can basically jack off all day and nothing gets said. I'm about at my breaking point w/her bullying. I would love to quit. Financially I'm able to, my job is just play money, but its just the point of letting her win. I know she wants me to quit. I"ve seen it w/many other employees over the past 1 1/2 yrs that I've been there. I just don't know what to do
    Last edited by cbg; 09-18-2008 at 05:17 AM.

I don't see how an injury that resolved more than a year ago has anything to do with this. Tattling on the manager tends to be a career limiting decision. I'm not sure what you were expecting to happen by reporting this, but it is unlikely that the manager or cashier was going to like you more afterward. No, it is not protected activity as making an exception in company policy is legal, and reporting it not protected. Two weeks of less desireable duties is not exactly the end of the world, but if you are unhappy, and don't need the job anyway, I have no idea why you would stay. What exactly do you gain by staying? So she "wins" if you leave. She also "wins" if you stay and she makes you miserable. You can't make her be nice to you or like you. It isn't a hostile environment as the laws defines it. Your choices are to 1. live with it, or 2. leave.

Your call.

How an injury has to do with this is because even though the injury was 9 months ago, I had surgery 3 months ago and only returned to work 3weeks ago. Since that time she has been making my live hell. Not just because I reported her for what she did w/allowing another employee to shop at our store. When I returned to work after my surgery is when things changed.

Super Moderator

Still nothing illegal being done here. You reported your mgr. per your first post after you returned to work three weeks ago (reported her 2 wks. ago). That could be why things are starting to change since you returned from surgery. Reporting your manager usually has repercussions.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.